What's new

RT-AX86U On Sale in China & Reviewed!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Google Translate is your best friend :)

One of the reader comments:

"I don't know if the price is not fragrant."

I suppose 'is not fragrant' could mean 'stinks'. :)

OE

Google translate. When you don't want to understand in more than one language. :)

Jeesh, I write the word 'stinks' and two minutes later this website is displaying this ad:
Annotation 2020-05-16 113625.png

OE

So basically this should have been the RT-AX88U with extra 2.5 GBe port. But Asus is still keeping the "planned obsolescence" game alive by deliberately not including Wifi6E with RT-AX86U. Hehe

:p

So basically this should have been the RT-AX88U with extra 2.5 GBe port. But Asus is still keeping the "planned obsolescence" game alive by deliberately not including Wifi6E with RT-AX86U. Hehe

:p

They can't release a product based on specifications that didn't even exist at the time the router was developped...

Also just because the FCC is now ready to validate Wifi 6e frequencies does not mean that the same certification is available yet in other countries. Wifi 6e uses new frequencies, so they require explicit validation by regulatory bodies for each countries where you want to launch your product. So, don't expect any 6e device to appear until most likely the end of 2020.

They can't release a product based on specifications that didn't even exist at the time the router was developped...

Also just because the FCC is now ready to validate Wifi 6e frequencies does not mean that the same certification is available yet in other countries. Wifi 6e uses new frequencies, so they require explicit validation by regulatory bodies for each countries where you want to launch your product. So, don't expect any 6e device to appear until most likely the end of 2020.

So do you think if it worths it to buy an AX86U at this point or we should wait for 6E to hit the market?

@Ryan_C that depends on your current router and situation. Is an upgrade drastically needed?

Or, as RMerlin indicates above, can you wait/postpone the purchase to the end of 2020 (effectively first quarter of 2021 if you wait (as you should) for reviews and user experiences to be reported first)?

So do you think if it worths it to buy an AX86U at this point or we should wait for 6E to hit the market?

If you wait for the next new thing, then you will never buy anything. By the time WIfi 6e will become widely available, people will be talking about the forecoming Wifi 7.

Just go with what suits your needs right now. There's typically a 12-24 months lag between the availability of a new router technology and this standard becoming widespread among clients.

I agree. By the time wifi6E clients are available.. you're looking at a minimum of two years before that stuff is widely adopted. The people that say "Wait for finalized specs" even for current AX routers/clients are pretty silly.

AX86U will likely be the best option for a balanced "high end" AX router. Specs look like the AX88u with a nerfed 2.4g radio. No big deal for most people.

Chinese sites have MSRP listed for 1999 yuan or the equivalent of 280 USD which seems to fit quite well into ASUS product stack.

What’s wrong with using a newer radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing? Just less theoretical output on MIMO 1x1/2x2 devices and potentially lower range than the original BCM43684 on 2.4ghz.

It will only really impact those that run future 2.4ghz AX devices like cameras and what not. The AX86u is prob a better device for people that mostly use the 5ghz band given its going to be cheaper with potentially similar range and performance to the AX88U

Nothing? Just less theoretical output on MIMO 1x1/2x2 devices and potentially lower range than the original BCM43684 on 2.4ghz.

It will only really impact those that run future 2.4ghz AX devices like cameras and what not. The AX86u is prob a better device for people that mostly use the 5ghz band given its going to be cheaper with potentially similar range and performance to the AX88U

Is it reasonable to expect some difference in performance given the difference in design, like being vertical and 1 internal antennae? But I'm not sure if that means better or worse range/throughput tho :)

Is it reasonable to expect some difference in performance given the difference in design, like being vertical and 1 internal antennae? But I'm not sure if that means better or worse range/throughput tho :)

Of course.

Theres going to be obvious variances, but the AC86U for example outperforms many AC routers, including the AC88u in terms of range in Asus' own product stack.

AX88U and AC86U seems to perform similarly (AC wifi5) from what I've gathered. I'd assume AX86u at least comes close.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!