What's new

RT-AX86U OpenVPN Just Doesn't Work! (for me yet)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fred Johnston

Occasional Visitor
RT-AX86U OpenVPN Just Doesn't Work! (for me yet)
(I get the feeling there is a real bug here... shouldn't be this difficult!)

I have flashed back and forth between Asus (which works fine) and Merlin (which does NOT work).
---I've done this a few times, same results every time
---(P.S. ipSEC works fine, and i have firewall off, etc.)

When on Asus, all traffic flows fine... bytes in / bytes out...

When on Merlin, I get connected ok... but I can see ONE byte flow
into the router, but NOTHING is sent back out.
(I also generate a new config file, it does the same thing)

As I mentioned... on Merlin ipSEC works ok.

Please... HELP!

P.S. Also, small side thing... but when i get connected, the status doesn't update on
the main VPN screen "connection status", so I have to go to the "VPN Status" tab

Are you talking about the router's VPN server or VPN client?

If it's the VPN server make sure you are testing from the internet and not from inside your LAN.

P.S. Don't disable the router's firewall.

OK, thanks. This should be straight forward to setup and no one else has reported an issue with the AX86U which makes me think it's a simple configuration error somewhere.

Look in routers system log for errors when starting up the server. Then look again when the client tries to connect.

SUCCESS, Thanks... !!!

I was getting all ready to capture the log etc, so i enabled SSH and tested it by typing "reboot", then my router rebooted. After this, I was continuing, then POOF, realized it was all working! For some reason, this setup and reboot gave it the kick-in-the-pants that it apparently needed! (Maybe a hard power-cycle off/on would have worked (I though i had, but maybe i just did a GUI reboot, I can't remember when i did what now)... anyways, for anyone in future with this issue, try a power-cycle first, then try the ssh "reboot" if that fails).

I still have the problem where the connections don't appear in the "VPN Server" tab (all users constantly show as disconnected, but in the "VPN Status" tab i can see the connections. (this would be "nice" to be fixed, but just having it working is fantastic!

No issues with OpenVPN server here. Client shows connected on the router VPN Server/OpenVPN GUI page. Asus firmware.

Sorry if any confusion...
I'm referring to a problem with the Merlin firmware.
I do realize it works with the Asus firmware.

Sorry if any confusion...
I'm referring to a problem with the Merlin firmware.
I do realize it works with the Asus firmware.
OK, I noticed some issues with the Merlin firmware that I was uncomfortable with on my AX86U. That is why I went back, again, to the Asus factory firmware. Sure, I would really like DoT but my router seems to run better in my application with the Asus firmware. Didn't feel it was important enough to complain as others seem to be doing OK with Merlin. I am also having good results with Asus Beta firmware on AC66U_B1 and AC68U's.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!