What's new

RT-AX88U AI Mesh Node Legacy Mode Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

forwardrefresh

New Around Here
I have a GT-AX11000 running as the main router. Due to some old devices present in the home, the 2.4Ghz Spectrum is running in legacy mode with B/G protection active.

When I paired my new RT-AX88U as a mesh node, the settings from the GT-AX11000 are not replicating. Hence the legacy setup isnt being translated to the node. As such the older devices that I wanted to offer a better connection are intermittently dropping off. I have confirmed that the Mesh is communicating via the 5Ghz network and not the 2.4Ghz spectrum.

Aside from throwing away my old devices or treating the AX88U not as a repeater or access point, both of which defeat the purpose of me spending the extra cash to get this router, what are my options here? I cant access any of the settings on the node because pinging the node's IP address just pushes me back to the main router's menu.

I asked ASUS support and those A$$holes just hung up on me after saying its impossible. Need a way to modify the settings on the node for compatibility

Constructive help towards this end goal is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forums @forwardrefresh.

I would suggest flashing the same RMerlin codebase level of firmware to the routers and try again. You will need to reset the GT-AX11000 after flashing to RMerlin firmware. I think the time will be well spent though.

Thank you for responding. I have used Asus merlin firmware before. Is RMerlin the same thing? Does RMerlin allow access to the node settings unlike the stock firmware? I'm trying to understand the next steps after flashing before I take the leap

Thanks again

I don't, 'know', what firmware you've used before, but I would guess we're talking about the same thing.

About | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

RMerlin firmware doesn't add more control of the AiMesh nodes. But AiMesh v2.0 available in the 386.xxx line of firmware does give both Asus and RMerlin firmware control of more aspects of the nodes.

Asus AiMesh 2.0 Big Changes in 2021 - Here's What Features They Added - Firmware Update Dec 30, 2020 - YouTube

This is what I would recommend for getting the RMerlin firmware flashed to your router and then having the router/network stable, fast, and secure.

I would suggest first flashing the RMerlin firmware on both, following the WPS Button reset method applicable for each as shown in the link below.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Then, get the main router stable first, before adding the remaining router(s) as an AiMesh mode as described below.

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!