What's new

RT-AX88U CPU Usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MaverickPenguinX

Occasional Visitor
I recently upgraded from a 68U which was rock solid, and ran scripts fairly well despite having a much slower CPU. The 68U rarely needed a restart, despite having it for years and constantly tinkering with it. But this new RT-AX88U seems to be having some stability issues that I can't shake, despite having reset and trying a few different firmwares.

With the last stable firmware of Merlin (384.14)I was able to install diversion and skynet without any issues. However every day without having changed any router settings, with the network basically at rest, I would find all 4 cores on the CPU maxed out at 99% and when I would ssh in and run top I would see about 7 instances of diversion running. After unplugging and restarting the router the CPU usage would trickle down to almost 0% on all cores.

I reset the router and upgraded the firmware to the new 384.15alpha and while I don't see the miraculous jump to 99% usage, I am seeing a consistent build up. Yesterday the cores were consistently at about 30% which I knew was an issue because when the router is functioning normally the core values are different and tend to shift. So I've just been watching the cores since yesterday and as of 2 hours ago they were at 86%, and now they're at 92%. After SSH and running tops I have spotted 4 instances of diversion running.

upload_2020-1-21_17-23-53.png

Anyone got any advice or solutions?

Don't know if this applies to your situation but I had the same thing happen to my RT-AC86U after installing amtm, entware, Skynet and Diversion Standard, in that order. I had to reboot it twice without changing anything and it seemed like the changes finally 'stuck'. Now it runs below 10%, mostly under 5%.

I don't know if this had anything to do with it but before the second reboot I entered the Diversion Menu and was prompted to enable additional hosts files, so I did and the blocking list changed to Standard +. I did that and rebooted and everything went back to normal. Worth giving it a try.

Don't know if this applies to your situation but I had the same thing happen to my RT-AC86U after installing amtm, entware, Skynet and Diversion Standard, in that order. I had to reboot it twice without changing anything and it seemed like the changes finally 'stuck'. Now it runs below 10%, mostly under 5%.

I don't know if this had anything to do with it but before the second reboot I entered the Diversion Menu and was prompted to enable additional hosts files, so I did and the blocking list changed to Standard +. I did that and rebooted and everything went back to normal. Worth giving it a try.
Interesting. I'll give that a shot.

Reactions: a5m

I logged back into Diversion and sure enough it did want to update its lists and run some other functions. I rebooted the router and I'll update you if it goes crazy again.

Reactions: a5m
Interesting. I'll give that a shot.
I logged back into Diversion and sure enough it did want to update its lists and run some other functions. I rebooted the router and I'll update you if it goes crazy again.
Sounds good. Hoping to hear some good news.

Just an FYI - I waited several hours (unintentionally) between reboots. As @L&LD has suggested many times before, the router needs time between reboots to let everything 'settle'.