What's new

RT-AX88U Data Storage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DexterII

Occasional Visitor
Just curious, where does the router store things like traffic statistics and log data? Also how much space does it actually have? Is there an easy way to see how much space is available? Is it flash storage somewhere?

The data is stored in the /jffs partition in flash memory. The partition size is 63MB for the RT-AX88U.

I don't know of a way of seeing its current usage through the GUI using stock firmware. You would have to log into the router using SSH to check it. The files are truncated when they grow beyond a certain size.

Untitled.png

Interesting. I was just concerned being it’s utilizing flash, then what’s the shelf life of that memory if the router is constantly writing to it with log entries and web statistics.

I’m also assuming it’s basically just text it’s storing for everything. So 63mb should be able to store years of statistics no?

Oh wow. I might really want to consider the Merlin firmware. The stock doesn’t have anything like that. I guess you can select a mounted external flash drive as a location if need be? I’m assuming the stock firmware is regularly writing to RAM by default then dumps to flash occasionally?

I noticed everyday the RAM usage creeps up a few MB. Waiting to see if it dives down eventually. The routers been up about 20 days and has creeped up to 621MB / 1024MB used. Everyday seems to go up 2-3MB. Wondering if this is from the statistics?

@Toink The "Tools" tab doesn't exist in stock Asus firmware. Merlin added that. The option on that screen refers to the Traffic Monitor whereas I think the OP was more interested in the log files and Traffic Analyser data files.

Interesting. I was just concerned being it’s utilizing flash, then what’s the shelf life of that memory if the router is constantly writing to it with log entries and web statistics.
Flash wear is not a problem (this question is regularly asked).

I’m also assuming it’s basically just text it’s storing for everything. So 63mb should be able to store years of statistics no?
The syslog file is plain text (1MB) and IIRC the traffic data is an SQLite file (I don't know how many records it holds as I don't have that on my router).

I guess you can select a mounted external flash drive as a location if need be?
As mentioned above that option only applies to the Traffic Monitor data (not Analyser), nothing else.

I’m assuming the stock firmware is regularly writing to RAM by default then dumps to flash occasionally?
Sort of.

I noticed everyday the RAM usage creeps up a few MB. Waiting to see if it dives down eventually. The routers been up about 20 days and has creeped up to 621MB / 1024MB used. Everyday seems to go up 2-3MB. Wondering if this is from the statistics?
That's normal.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!