What's new

rt-ax88u net disconnect but not wan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

conFIGured

New Around Here
Hi all,
I have a client that runs an Asus rt-ax88u router, they have 14 workstations and a server. The internet will drop out but the cable modem from spectrum still says its connected. When this happens the internal network of reading the server does not stop working. Only the internet is affected. Spectrum has come out multiple times and done tests and say it's not their end. I've replaced cables, the netgear 24 port unmanaged switch and rebuilt the static ip structure for all the workstations. Resetting the switch fixes the issue or restarting the router fixes it or resetting the modem fixes it. Its wierd to me because only the internet drops but everything says it's working. Yesterday when the internet went down I checked the router and it said it had internet so I connected my laptop wireless and I got internet but all the hardwired workstations were still offline.
Any ideas what could cause only the internet part to fail for all wired connections but NOT the internal server access?
The wiring is setup by all workstations are hooked up to the switch and the server is hooked up to the router. So both are still working and tlnothing is losing IPs.

Thank you

What version Firmware are you on?

I have had a similar issue, but with Xfinity.
My modem lights wouldn’t indicate an issue, but internet would definitely be down. Simply resetting my modem wouldn’t fix it....even with the reset button that level 2 Xfinity techs have sworn is the same thing as them doing a full reset.

To get back online, I would have to call in & have them send the reset signal out to the modem. If I wanted it to stay working, I would unplug everything for a bit then do it,.,I think that might give the CMOS (main cable box for area) a break so it realizes that it hasn’t communicated with my modem.

I had to turn off “ping” under admin>>system>>basic config>>network monitoring>>”ping”

It is one of the router’s testing methods to see if the WAN is up....if I have it on, I end up with no internet...but with all clear lights from the modem.

Perhaps it would work if I tried a different address to ping.
I tried 8.8.4.4. A while back & more recently tried 1.1.1.1.

A side note....a while back, I ended up reverting to a previous firmware build. It fixed my issue. However, I just updated to the most current stable build & it’s been working just fine.

I have an AC5300. Some others had similar issues on here...I wasn’t the only one reverting to an older build until something got fixed.

The firmware is the latest firmware version. 3.0.0.4.384-6210
This is for a dental client of mine, it always goes down in the afternoon when nobody is at work and they have to reset it in the morning when they get there.
To further boggle the minds. Yesterday it just so happened to go down while I was on site and thats when i connected wirelessly directly to the router bypassing the switch and i got internet. To make it more complicated. I went to a wired station during the internet outage and tried to ping the router IP 192.168.50.1 and it did not find it BUT I could still connect to the server with the medical program Open Dental. So i couldnt ping the router or get internet through a wired connection but I could still communicate internally.

I am also getting a slew of router errors in the log

Kernel net_ratelimit callbacks suppressed
(I have been getting those for a bit)

wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(401) eth6/7 Disassoc status 0 disassociated because sending station is leaving or has left the BBS (8)
(This is a new error i am recieving since they replaced the modem yesterday)

My ping in basic configuration is already disabled.

Last edited:
I just reverted back to the previous firmware build, we will see how that does.
I’ve just installed a new RT-AX88U and set it up from scratch, installed the latest Merlin firmware and am getting same internet disconnects.

Did you manage to solve this with an older firmware? Which one if so please?

TIA

HB

I’ve just installed a new RT-AX88U and set it up from scratch, installed the latest Merlin firmware and am getting same internet disconnects.

Did you manage to solve this with an older firmware? Which one if so please?

TIA

HB
I reverted to the 1st build before the latest. I do not have the build number for it is a client and I am not on site. That has fixed the disconnect issues.

This turned out to be coincidental. There has been issues with our local exchange affecting us and many of our neighbours causing the random disconnects.

Openreach are currently working to fix the issue. I’m glad it’s not an issue with the new router though!

HB

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!