What's new

RT-AX88U on 384.18 drops WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alexv860

New Around Here
This happens at least once a day, for 5-10 min at a time. Everything works fine otherwise, save for maybe slow download speeds occasionally. Any ideas? I know i should attach a log here, but I'm not sure which would be helpful, so I will add one once I know which one to include.
Thanks

How do you connect to your ISP?

There is a problem documented with DHCP IP addressing for the WAN connection not working properly if you are running Adaptive QoS - documented here https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/Adaptive-QoS-Optimization

Also I noticed that there is a new stock firmware release issued this week that fixes WAN connectivity with static IP addresses. I don't know when the issue was introduced but I think I've seen the issue on current Merlin firmware when using Dual WAN where it doesn't seem to detect that the connection is active/connected to the internet and is almost like it thinks it doesn't have an IP address as if it was waiting for a DHCP server to respond.
1596642200922.png

Do you get any messages in your log around the time of the issue? You might need to increase the log level in the GUI to capture something.

Thanks for the reply,
I use DHCP, and I only run the bandwidth limiter. I cant remember exactly when it happened last night, so it might take me awhile to check my logs, but last time i checked them if I remember correctly there were a bunch of commit errors i think... I usually just go make a snack when it drops and come back in 10 and get back to whatever I was doing, so it's been a few weeks since I read it. I do have a few static IP addresses, but this drops WAN for the entire network, wireless + wired. I'll take a look and see if I can find it in my old log, or ill try and catch it next time it happens today or tomorrow.

Thanks, it's worth checking the logs. My questions and possibilities around address allocations were the IP addressing of the router itself from the ISP / Modem / other upstream service.

My advice is Under wan look for where it says aggressive, change it to contious mode that's what I'm using on my AX88U.

I was able to DL a log file today right after it dropped, here is the log. I skimmed through it, but I'm not native in router, I did see a "suspected ddos" occurring occasionally, but the source is our bank, so IDK if that it.
@Vexira Thanks, Ill try that one out now, see if it smoothes out this bumpy ride at all. I also disabled IPV6, as I think I read somewhere that it still can cause some problems, as well as some security issues over the internet due to it having to switch from IPV4 and back occasionally, and dropping https in the process. I always thought v6 was supposed to be an improvement, but who am I to say.
How do you like your AX88U btw? Mine has been a nightmare - however mostly attributed to my Killer Networking AX card on my old PC I think, ever since replacing my motherboard most of my problems have been eliminated. When I had the Killer 1650x card in my PC while broadcasting 160hz it would cause nearly every device on my network to lag or crash, or just act like other various forms of crappiness. It was nuts. Everything was pretty stable with 80hz band, but my new card is an AC w/ 160hz and causes no problems.
If anybody can make sense of this log, a translation would be much appreciated.
Thanx

Attachments

• CRASHsyslog8.10.20.1315.txt
    474.1 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
The Ethernet connection between the modem and the router is dropping:

Code:
Aug 10 13:06:38 WAN_Connection: Ethernet link down.
Aug 10 13:06:48 kernel: eth0 (Int switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 3) (phyId: c) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
Aug 10 13:06:48 WAN_Connection: Ethernet link up.

This often happens when the modem (not the router) is rebooting. Keep an eye on your modem. If possible, replace that Ethernet cable just to be safe.

I was able to DL a log file today right after it dropped, here is the log. I skimmed through it, but I'm not native in router, I did see a "suspected ddos" occurring occasionally, but the source is our bank, so IDK if that it.
@Vexira Thanks, Ill try that one out now, see if it smoothes out this bumpy ride at all. I also disabled IPV6, as I think I read somewhere that it still can cause some problems, as well as some security issues over the internet due to it having to switch from IPV4 and back occasionally, and dropping https in the process. I always thought v6 was supposed to be an improvement, but who am I to say.
How do you like your AX88U btw? Mine has been a nightmare - however mostly attributed to my Killer Networking AX card on my old PC I think, ever since replacing my motherboard most of my problems have been eliminated. When I had the Killer 1650x card in my PC while broadcasting 160hz it would cause nearly every device on my network to lag or crash, or just act like other various forms of crappiness. It was nuts. Everything was pretty stable with 80hz band, but my new card is an AC w/ 160hz and causes no problems.
If anybody can make sense of this log, a translation would be much appreciated.
Thanx
So far mine has been well behaved, I guess because I take care of it only has had one rare issue that required a reformat, but I guess Im lucky in that case.