What's new

RT-AX88U poor 2.4ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ninko

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I recently upgraded my RT-AC87U for a RT-AX88U, and while the 5ghz WiFi seems good, the 2.4ghz seems worse. It doesn't seem to go as far as the old router.

Has anyone else found this?

Thanks

Ninko

This was discussed in this thread. There appears to be an issue with the recent firmware(s). Going back to an older release should sort it until Asus fixes it.

Any firmware after 384.14 is being affected. Stay with 384.14 for reliable 2.4 ghz performance.

@ColinTaylor
Thanks for redirecting me, didn't know about this, thought I had a faulty unit or something.

@Hawk
Thanks for the advice, is it safe to run an older version, has there been any major security fixes between the versions?

Thanks

Ninko

@ColinTaylor
Thanks for redirecting me, didn't know about this, thought I had a faulty unit or something.

@Hawk
Thanks for the advice, is it safe to run an older version, has there been any major security fixes between the versions?

Thanks

Ninko

Changelog doesn't show any major security issues, if you decide make sure to keep security tightened around router example no wan access, no ping from wan, disable upnp etc.

I've moved to .14 and I'd say it improves by 10-15db which I'd say is pretty close to what my RT-AC87U managed. I also noticed that when running .15 it would use 40mhz for 2.4ghz WiFi, but when running .14 it uses 20mhz - same settings.

Has there been any word from ASUS regarding this issue?

Thanks

Ninko

I've moved to .14 and I'd say it improves by 10-15db which I'd say is pretty close to what my RT-AC87U managed. I also noticed that when running .15 it would use 40mhz for 2.4ghz WiFi, but when running .14 it uses 20mhz - same settings.

Has there been any word from ASUS regarding this issue?

Thanks

Ninko
Asus are aware of the issue, it seems the driver used to control radio got messed up, when tweaking MU-MIMO. I am hoping they release new driver which fix this bug.

Hopefully, affects my gt-ax1100 also. 2.4 is awful on this. (Only affects my playstation vita, so not massively fussed, but still..)

Has this been fixed? I have an AX86U which seems to have weak 2.4 GHz. 5 GHz performs great though.

Although I can't speak for AX86U, but on AX88U with firmware 386.1 based I have notice 2.4 ghz performing really well compare to 384 series. On average signal strength is 10dbm stronger also signal attenuation in free space is improved as well.

Although I can't speak for AX86U, but on AX88U with firmware 386.1 based I have notice 2.4 ghz performing really well compare to 384 series. On average signal strength is 10dbm stronger also signal attenuation in free space is improved as well.
I didn't know 386.1 was released yet?

More than likely the Beta RC 2. :)

Ah! I didn't know that was in development.
Is there any timeframe for public release?

Thanks

When it is done, it's done.

It's not a straightforward 'no'. It is more of a 'we don't know when it will be done' kind of answer.

After all, even Asus is public beta testing it, still.

Hi,

was the 2.4ghz band issue the RT-AX88U had solved with the firmware released last week?

Version 3.0.0.4.386.41249
released on 2020/12/08

Q

Last edited:
I also have the 2.4 problem. in fact 5ghz goes further than 2.4.

I'm currently at 384.19

Another thing that happens to me. is that my samsung S10 connected to wifi6 in the 2.4 network does not synchronize at more than 229mhz even if it is next to it. have you observed this last?

thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!