What's new

RT-AX88U vs RT-AC86U as a node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CBR1000RR

Occasional Visitor
Hi. Noticed a few people in other posts mentioning that they use a higher end router as a node. I was thinking of doing this but not sure if it would actually improve performance when connected to the node.

I have a RT-AX88U as my primary router and an RT-AC86U as a node. I average around 400mbps when connected to the AX88 and about 150mpbs when connected to the AC86. Would the speeds improve when connected to the node if I upgraded it to an AX88 or is there just a bottleneck somewhere that can't be avoided?

Not really a big deal either way but would like to improve node speed if I could. Do I need to get 400-500mpbs all over the house? Nah. Do I want it? Yeah. :p

In my house with 2 RT-AX88Us connected in mesh mode, I get 500-600 Mbps anywhere and in any room. I had RT-AC68U and Blue Cave before and just that they were not doing a good job of being in a mesh network because AX88U was AX and those were AC.
You also need to make sure that the November 2019 firmware for RT-AX88U is not used as it has speed problems with AC devices. Downgrade that to Version 3.0.0.4.384.6436

Hi. Noticed a few people in other posts mentioning that they use a higher end router as a node. I was thinking of doing this but not sure if it would actually improve performance when connected to the node.

I have a RT-AX88U as my primary router and an RT-AC86U as a node. I average around 400mbps when connected to the AX88 and about 150mpbs when connected to the AC86. Would the speeds improve when connected to the node if I upgraded it to an AX88 or is there just a bottleneck somewhere that can't be avoided?

Not really a big deal either way but would like to improve node speed if I could. Do I need to get 400-500mpbs all over the house? Nah. Do I want it? Yeah. :p
Rt ax 88 u? Expensive node

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!