What's new

RT-AX88U - Web Access from WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LaMpiR

Regular Contributor
Hi good people.

I have a Asus AX88U and I wanted to enable Web access from WAN. I do it, and after a while it is turned off.
I have skynet installed as well.

Firmware: 384.16

Certificate is set up with https.

Skynet disables WAN access as part of securemode setting. It’s a dangerous idea to access from WAN. Better is to setup OpenVPN server on the router and connect that way.

This!

WAN access should be disabled, HTTPS affords you no additional security over HTTP, it just encrypts the data any would be hacker sends/receives.

TBH Asus and/or Merlin should make it impossible to enable IMO, or at least have a pop up explaining how dumb it is to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Asus AX88U and I wanted to enable Web access from WAN.

double-facepalm-when-the-fail-is-so-strong-one-facepalm-49373438.png

I needed it to turn the guest network on, as I was away from home. I don't want it always enabled.

I do understand the concerns and I will look into setting up a openvpn server then.

Thank you all :)

Access GUI from any web browser, go to Administration, System, Remote Access Config. Android, iOS, Windows, Mac - all the same.
Sorry, I meant setting up an openvpn server on the AX88u, and configuring an IOS device to access it.

It's easy - you'll need the OpenVPN Connect app for iOS. Configure the OpenVPN server on your Asus router, export the ovpn file. The easy way to do it - mail the ovpn file to yourself and open the attachment with OpenVPN Connect app.