What's new

RT-AX92U vs RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NeoXx

Occasional Visitor
I am interested in upgrading to the new AX standard and I was fixated on RT-AX88U since I previously owned RT-AC88U and really liked it.

However then I came across RT-AX92U which is 35% cheaper than RT-AX88U. Why is it cheaper considering it offers tri-band vs the AX88U's dual-band?
I live in a flat (not a house and thus don't need massive coverage) so I'm considering whether it will be better to get RT-AX92U as it is cheaper especially if performance is similar.

Any advice?

I am interested in upgrading to the new AX standard and I was fixated on RT-AX88U since I previously owned RT-AC88U and really liked it.

However then I came across RT-AX92U which is 35% cheaper than RT-AX88U. Why is it cheaper considering it offers tri-band vs the AX88U's dual-band?
I live in a flat (not a house and thus don't need massive coverage) so I'm considering whether it will be better to get RT-AX92U as it is cheaper especially if performance is similar.

Any advice?

The reason for price difference is very obvious if you read the comparison list available on the ASUS sites:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Product-Compare/?products=pJOKxTNGAGts4Qp0,v5yxrtnas3xqir8l&b=0

forget it as it will tell just nothing.

No Linux support on 88U but 92U has it though only Win10x64 and no x32???
Same for most of all other positions, 88U doesnt show a, b, g, n link rates (does it miss)???
92U no IPv4 and IPv6 support?

Last edited:
ASUS marketing is misleading as the RT-AX92U is not a full Wi-Fi 6 router.

Only the second 5Ghz band can support Wi-Fi 6. The 2 remaining bands are plain old Wi-Fi 5 with poor performance.

It has only 512MB RAM compared to 1GB on the RT-AX88U with a slower dual-core CPU.

Hi. I recently bought an RT-AX88U in Amazón which is a very good router, I also bought an Intel AX200 wifi card to be able to test the AX part.

I also had an RT-68U that I linked via aimesh with the RT-AX88U with Ethernet backhaul, I had no possibility of carrying an ethernet cable there. The AX88U works very well as a main router but the RT-68U in mesh, did not deliver more than 20mbps of download. A big disappointment.

Then I returned the RT-AX88U and I have bought the kit of two RT-AX92U units, one is as main and the other as aimesh node with dedicated wifi backaul. The speed of the wifi-ac in the node, is around 68 MB/s and that of the wifi-ax connected to the third channel with the Intel card from the laptop and also to the node is 100MB/s

The truth is that I can not be happier with the purchase. It is totally recommended.

Any advice?
I have both the RT-AX88u (x1) and the RT-AX92u (x2). I had all three set up in a mesh with the 88u as the primary router. Initially all was working fine until I done a firmware update. For the rest past 4 months I’ve tried everything from rolling back the firmware, factory reset etc. I can’t get a stable connection. As soon as I think I’ve resolved the problem it falls over again with AP’s switching from 5ghz to 2ghz, connecting to the internet but unable to load webpages, connection speeds dropping from 380 mbps to 10 mbps.

I’ve given up and boxed the 88u as it seems that’s the problem. ASUS support is awful. They couldn’t resolve the issue, the most they advised was factory reset and then told me to return the unit. So that’s what I’m doing. So far (first day without the 88u) all is stable with just the two 92u routers in a mesh.

In case you’re wondering, I bought the 88u initially but couldn’t get full coverage in my house so then bought the 92u routers which came as a pair (only really needed this bundle).

My advice stare clear of 88u. It’s awful unless you use it as a stand alone unit.

I have both the RT-AX88u (x1) and the RT-AX92u (x2). I had all three set up in a mesh with the 88u as the primary router. Initially all was working fine until I done a firmware update. For the rest past 4 months I’ve tried everything from rolling back the firmware, factory reset etc. I can’t get a stable connection. As soon as I think I’ve resolved the problem it falls over again with AP’s switching from 5ghz to 2ghz, connecting to the internet but unable to load webpages, connection speeds dropping from 380 mbps to 10 mbps.

I’ve given up and boxed the 88u as it seems that’s the problem. ASUS support is awful. They couldn’t resolve the issue, the most they advised was factory reset and then told me to return the unit. So that’s what I’m doing. So far (first day without the 88u) all is stable with just the two 92u routers in a mesh.

In case you’re wondering, I bought the 88u initially but couldn’t get full coverage in my house so then bought the 92u routers which came as a pair (only really needed this bundle).

My advice stare clear of 88u. It’s awful unless you use it as a stand alone unit.
Make sure you use Separate 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz SSIDs. That is your only problem. Manually connect all 5Ghz devices and 2.4 Ghz devices to their respective networks. I have 2 RT-AX88Us in AiMesh since 8 months and my setup is running flawlessly so far on latest official firmware.

Excuse my english it ist not my native language.

@sanke1
You are using 2x RT-AX88U....not RT-AX88U in combination with RT-AX92U.

So why are you saying " That ist your only problem" although there is a completely different hardware combination?....

I have the same problems with RT-AX88U with AX92U.
It does not help to seperate, it does not help to *insert any configuration*.
It also does not help to drop aimesh and set up AX92U in Repeater Mode....

I am troubleshooting since months...

EDIT: I do not think it is a problem with AX88U...it is the AX92U. Maybe a compatibility issue with the different SoC when using this combination.

Last edited:
The reason for price difference is very obvious if you read the comparison list available on the ASUS sites:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Product-Compare/?products=pJOKxTNGAGts4Qp0,v5yxrtnas3xqir8l&b=0
"The reason for price difference is very obvious"
Ok- sorry- no, it isn't 'very obvious'. ASUS has about (at least) nine different WiFi 6 / AX-series routers, and it's not clear to the uninitiated what the difference is. I've been researching it for over an hour, and came here to learn yet more.
RT-AX86U
RT-AX88U
RT-AX92U
... And don't forget the
RT-AX86S
And there's more of them.

There's nothing intuitive or clear about the differences about the hardware, the software options nor... Well, nothing clear without figuring it out on your own. And your link above may have worked when you posted it, but now it throws an HTTP 500. :(

There's nothing intuitive or clear about the differences about the hardware, the software options

Go to Asus website, select model, click Compare (bottom right corner of product picture). You can compare up to 4 models.

1684373836912.png

Asus model numbers are mostly upgrade suggestions like AC88U -> AX88U -> AX88U Pro, AC86U -> AX86U -> AX86U Pro, etc. or contain class number RT-AX3000, GT-AX6000, GT-AX11000, etc. They don't show release date or what hardware is inside. You have to look at specifications. Software options? Most popular Asus routers run Asuswrt firmware. What's included is listed in specifications (sometimes with copy/paste bugs or incomplete, unfortunately). If you are interested in Asuswrt-Merlin firmware the list of supported models is here:

Last edited:
Go to Asus website, select model, click Compare (bottom right corner of product picture). You can compare up to 4 models.

View attachment 50197

Asus model numbers are mostly upgrade suggestions like AC88U -> AX88U -> AX88U Pro, AC86U -> AX86U -> AX86U Pro, etc. or contain class number RT-AX3000, GT-AX6000, GT-AX11000, etc. They don't show release date or what hardware is inside. You have to look at specifications. Software options? Most popular Asus routers run Asuswrt firmware. What's included is listed in specifications (sometimes with copy/paste bugs or incomplete, unfortunately). If you are interested in Asuswrt-Merlin firmware the list of supported models is here:

Yes- I've been using that all day. But, for example, it's not clear that the AX92U is meant to be sold/set up on pairs, to leverage ASUS mesh. The technical specs are there. If you're assuming that the average Joe can look at that website, understand the options, and get a sense of what they need- no, that's not there. The difference between the RT-AX86S, 86U, and 86U pro is not, actually, easy to do in that tool because some of those are not available in the results. Again- even if I knew to search for those models, and got the tool to compare them, it's not clear which is better.

I've was told unconditionally bu Asus support that the Pro is better. But AFAIK, it's only a small bump up in processor and an updated port? I read the 86U is better than the 88, except for the sites that say it didn't matter. And one site said the 88 has better range, but I'm dubious; looks like the same power, but it is a different antenna config, so performance is different, but not "the same better" for WiFi 6.

I've done enough balls-deep reading up on this morass today that I can tell you, as a pretty technical guy, they have too much $hit and it's confusing.

I'm suggesting that what you think is "obvious" isn't obvious to everyone. And to say that, actually, it comes across as a bit condescending.

If telling you something is insulting insults you, I'm sorry, I don't mean that at all. I spent the day picking one and can say with certainty, nothing about it is Obvious. I mean- even the comments in this thread show it seems to be unclear. Or, rather, even worse, uncertain.

Last edited:
I'm suggesting that what you think is "obvious" isn't obvious to everyone.

Agree. Asus model numbers are confusing, the site is not very intuitive and has errors.

it's not clear which is better

Better for what? There is no single model best for everyone. In 2023 for dual-band model I would be looking at AX86U Pro (compact), AX88U Pro (large) or GT-AX6000 (if you don't mind ugly). They all have updated hardware and will receive future Pro firmware (most likely for GT-AX6000). AX92U is 5-years old "tri-band" weird model with single AX radio and history of firmware issues and delays - not recommended in 2023, single or pair.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!