What's new

RT-N16: What are my firmware options?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fggs

New Around Here
Good evening,

I would like to discuss what are my firmware options for this old router, if that is ok.

I've never used RMerlin before, but it seems the best option for what I need, which I will explain below.

I'm running dd-wrt 30880 big currently and wireless is not as reliable as it used to be with dd-wrt Kong builds. Kong has stopped working on this router because he doesn't have it anymore and I have upgraded to have IPv6 support.

I'm also about to upgrade my internet connection to 200MBit/100MBit and it seems this router is still capable if using stock firmware or RMerlin, because of CTF.

Although, the ISP from this connection uses VLANs for internet, IPTV and VoIP. From what is known, they are in 100 range, meaning: vlan 100, 101 and 105 if I recall correctly.

Another thing that I want to do is to make it my DLNA media server and, if possible, also run Transmission (torrent client).

During your explanations on why not release newer firmwares for this router RMerlin said Tomato has a very solid support for RT-N16, but I've never used it and I don't know if they are still supporting this router.

TL;DR:

My needs are basically:

1- Reliable Wireless

2- VLAN Support (within 100 range as explained above)

3- DLNA media server

4- Transmission torrent client

5- CTF (also known as fast path) to support a fast internet connection (200MBit/100MBit)

6- Non-exploitable firmware, security is a concern

7- IPv6 support (optional)

Giving the firmware options below, which one seems to be the best choice for the needs above?

a) RMerlin 378.50: From what I've researched this one seems to have all I need, I'm not sure about VLAN support, as the stock doesn't seem to have it, and I don't know if it is still secure as it is a bit old and not supported anymore. Another thing I would like to ask: Any bugs I should be aware of?

b) DD-WRT Kong 22000+ build: This firmware is old, but it seems to have stable wireless. I wouldn't have CTF and IPv6 support, the rest seems to be ok, except for security as it is old and might have security holes.

c) Latest stock firmware: I thought about not including this one, as people use RMerlin for a reason.

d) Tomato: It seems to fit my needs as well, but I don't know if RT-N16 is still supported there.

Well, I guess this is it, I hope many of you give your thoughts on this so I can make a good choice.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Your best bet would be johns fork which I believe still supports it, you definitely don't want to be using an outdated merlin build which won't be receiving any future updates. Beyond that, with such a good connection if your in the position too, it might be time to update models to get the most out of it.

Your best bet would be johns fork which I believe still supports it, you definitely don't want to be using an outdated merlin build which won't be receiving any future updates. Beyond that, with such a good connection if your in the position too, it might be time to update models to get the most out of it.

Thanks for your really fast reply!

I'm checking john's fork right now, but I forgot to add that I might need VLAN support, does RMerlin or john's have support for it? I've edited my first post to give details.

I would really like to get a newer router, problem is its prices and from what I know so far, they are not as reliable as the old ones are, with driver issues and trouble for 3rd party firmwares to improve it in general.

To give you an example, an Asus RT-AC3200 which seems to be ~$200 in the US, costs ~$375 in used condition here (South America), unless you recommend a better cost benefit option, I'm all ears! :)

I'm checking john's fork right now, but I forgot to add that I might need VLAN support, does RMerlin or john's have support for it? I've edited my first post to give details.

I'm fairly sure they do, I don't mess with vlan stuff but I see it mentioned a good amount.

The AC68U is a pretty good balance of performance vs price and would be a major upgrade from a N16, it can more or less do everything the newer models can and is very reliable.