What's new

RT-n56u Access Point Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

connor2k

New Around Here
First off, this forum has been extremely helpful so far.
I have a Cable Modem from Time Warner going to a RT-AC66U. From there it goes out to several wired devices including a powerline adapter that goes upstairs. At the other end of that I want to place my old RT-N56U as an Access point. I set this up last night with the powerline adapter going into the WAN port. I set it up with a different SSID upstairs so I could check the connection and it will not provide an ip to any devices that connect. Shouldn't it be passing through the DHCP from the 66?

Failed to mention the firmware is .318

Last edited:
So i need to plug it into one of the lan ports instead of the WAN? It seems like when i do this, the router never gets its own ip. Is there any documentation on this anywhere?

I have my 56U set as an AP. It has a static IP (recommended) and the uplink is connected to one of the LAN ports. You can always use the WAN port. Get it to DHCP and get an IP address, then go to the web GUI and set a static IP. THEN swap it over to an AP.
I had some long term issues with the .318 firmware and backed down to the .260 version.

I see where people are having better success with .206, so I am going to give it a try. I'll let you know my results.

After trying some things out. I hooked the 56u directly to the ac66 and everything works great. So the problem lies in the Belkin Powerline adapters I have. They just won't push the IP's through from the DHCP router. Any ideas on this issue?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!