What's new

[RT-N66R] Repeater mode not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brrrlinguist

New Around Here
Hi everyone!

I updated my ASUS RT-N66R router's firmware today. I don't remember what it was, but it is now version 3.0.0.4.382_50702. After it finished installing, I noticed that the repeater mode isn't working on it. I use the repeater mode because it's connected to my desktop computer (which doesn't have a wifi adaptor). (I believe @DanGes also has this issue, except on an N66U router.)

I've tried a hardware and a software reset. I can connect to the wifi network setup via the router, but it connects without internet access. On my computer (Windows 10), it shows "Unknown Network, no internet".

The software reset was something I did from my laptop, which is connected to the wireless modem.

I thought I might be able to switch to the firmware from @john9527 but I get an error "To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware." when I try and upload the firmware.

If anybody knows an easy solution to this, please let me know!

I guess this is my consequence for breaking the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule...

Read the first post in the sticky thread for my fork on how to move from the later ASUS/Merlin builds.
Hi! Thanks for the response. Could you help me locate the post you're referring to? I thought you might mean this thread (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v36ea.18914/), but the first post is just "This is awesome man! I haven't tried it yet. My wife is in school so I need 100% up time right now lol".

I see that from the UpgradeMatrix.txt that I need to use a restoration tool, but I'm not sure where to find this tool/how to use it.

Sorry if I sound clueless, I pretty much am. I've never flashed custom firmware onto a router before, and the merlin firmware github isn't very helpful with the installation guide. It just says "flash like any other firmware"...