What's new

RT-N66R = RT-N66U (But . . .)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It might be possible to copy the CFE using this command and then retrive it from /tmp using winscp for example.

dd if=/dev/mtdblock/0 of=/tmp/cfe.bin

The one gui ip login restriction is a bit of a pain especially if forget to logout and then try from another device, i.e phone browser or laptop to say a few.

Last edited:
Why do you suppose there's still a multiple login problem when only one computer is being used after the router's memory is erased and the browser is restarted? That's the issue I had.

A few months ago one person reported this problem. What happens is after your router reboots with factory default settings, one device on your network (for that other user it was his PS3 if I recall) tries to access the Internet, and ends up triggering the Quick Internet Setup wizard of the router, locking the router to that particular IP. It's actually a bug in the firmware, Asus should probably take care of not triggering a login when accessing the very first page of the Quick Internet Setup.

Simplest way to work around it is to start the router with no device but your main computer connected to it, to ensure nothing else triggers it.

The one gui ip login restriction is a bit of a pain especially if forget to logout and then try from another device, i.e phone browser or laptop to say a few.

You can "unlock" yourself through telnet by erasing a few nvram settings when that happens:

nvram unset login_ip_str
nvram unset login_ip
nvram unset log_ipaddr
nvram commit

After that you should be able to log back in.

A few months ago one person reported this problem. What happens is after your router reboots with factory default settings, one device on your network (for that other user it was his PS3 if I recall) tries to access the Internet, and ends up triggering the Quick Internet Setup wizard of the router, locking the router to that particular IP. It's actually a bug in the firmware, Asus should probably take care of not triggering a login when accessing the very first page of the Quick Internet Setup.

Simplest way to work around it is to start the router with no device but your main computer connected to it, to ensure nothing else triggers it.

Good explanation -- Thanks!

To close the loop on these three issues that I described in a previous post in this thread, I think they are resolved -- (non-issues). I retested flashing the firmware, using both the router's web GUI and the Firmware Restoration utility, and I restored the configuration settings from a backup file without any problems. I was satisfied that these processes worked effectively:

Flashing and Backup Issues. a. Reliability of settings configuration file is questionable. (I don't like to think of having to manually re-enter all of the settings that make my network flow correctly.)

I couldn't duplicate the problem I experienced previously when it appeared that the settings were only partially restored. I can only conclude that something went wrong when I flashed back up to a 64KB NVRAM firmware from 32KB and the backed up 64KB NVRAM settings weren't compatible. Anyway, subsequent flashing of latest firmware and restoration of settings was accomplished without trouble.

b. Reliability of Firmware Restoration utility operation is questionable. (Assuming the router is bullet proof -- here's hoping -- other flashing methods might work.)

I used the Firmware Restoration utility several times without problems to load firmware onto the router. I think that previously I didn't watch the screen at the time the restoration completed. The utility program doesn't have a clear process completion message. After the firmware is restored, the window almost immediately states that the router is not in the rescue mode. Instead of that being a problem though, it means that the router has booted with the firmware just restored, so of course it's not in the rescue mode.

c. Duplicate web GUI login-blocking enigma ("You cannot Login unless logout another user first") complicates and frustrates resolution of problems. (When router is fully functioning, I've been able to log in simultaneously from different computers, both HTTP and HTTPS -- maybe that's just the Merlin build? -- and I haven't had that problem with Linksys or DD-WRT GUIs. Duplicate login restrictions should be removed. Remote access might be needed but wouldn't be available if the web GUI was left open on the LAN.)

While the restriction on duplicate logins to this router is an unnecessary nuisance if more than one device is active on the LAN, it's easily dealt with by attaching only one computer to the router when setting it up or upgrading it, as RMerlin pointed out. Or if you forget to do that like I did, just unplug the others from the router and refresh the browser window to the web GUI.

I think, by now, it's pretty clear that the RT-N66R is the same device as the RT-N66U and uses the same firmware. (That's probably the case with the RT-AC66R and RT-AC66U, too.)

howdy all,

well it seems there is yet maybe some difference between U and R models... though not easy to recognize... when asus now has z same story 4 AC66 as U and N ones... and differnet names 4 FW despite of z same size accordingly:

N66
http://usa.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN66U/#download
http://usa.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN66R/#download

AC66
http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTAC66U/#download
http://usa.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTAC66R/#download

U is made earlier due 2 a number of FW releases posted and is on sale worldwide; R isn't available to buy in some countries. maybe just yet

can anybody try 2 do a crossflash of FW U 2 R or vice versa?;) and 2 research difference if any?:)

sorry i can't do this by myself. now yet scouting model 4 router upgrade from present Asus WL-500W.

thanx

p.s. an official asus comparison of products web option gives nothing except extra certification of AC66R as IEEE 802.11d & e & i vs AC66U:(

I ran "U" firmware 3.0.0.4.220 on my "R" model before Asus ever started posting official "R" firmware. I've concluded from all evidence I've seen and heard that they are different in letter designation only. I believe it's the same situation with the AC models.

I can also confirm that there is no RT-N66R option in the GPL build system, meaning that Asus must compile it as RT-N66U most likely.

thanks 4 ur prompt replies.

sorry it's quite off topic of this thread but i need 1 more advice from z experienced people.

shall i expect some N-wireless (not AC) coverage range and/or throughput increase with either N66 or AC66 if upgrade from Asus Wl-500W 2.5GHz 3x2MIMO only with z intel wifi client of same time 2.5+5GHz 3x3MIMO 450Mbps?

one of my notes with z above wifi client is unluckily situated in location alike wifi dead zone but it's very inconvenient 2 relocate both note and wl500w. so this note looks located around z border of wl500w wifi N & G range(s) in concrete building w/o a direct view between AP & client. so i'm easily getting a fine signal of 270Mbps 40Mhz or 130Mbps 20MHz when note is near AP but just a jumping signal of around -75 ~ -85dBm with some 54~11Mbps speed of damn 1~5Mbps real throughput. so i hardly see a difference between N & G wifi in this case.

so i yet failed to get any good results with wl500w from z moment of its purchase a few years ago when it was z best at z market.

some firmwares r better than others but z result is always far from good.

appreciate. really:)

Last edited:
hi, i bought a black knight at best buy today and noticed the R version like is talked about here, it has the 3.0.0.4.176 firmware on it. but i am not experiencing any problems with it so far. it setup real easy and is working great so far. what changes were made from this firmware to the new one?

Look at the changelog for 220, 246 and 260. You will see a long list of changes since that firmware.

Note that I don't really document changes to the official firmware in my changelog (aside from a few points that I might mention). Those documented changes are specific to my builds.
You're right, Merlin, my mistake!

- lfbb

I've been using Merlin builds since a week after I got my "R" model from Best Buy last Fall. I'm currently using 3.0.0.4.270.26b with no issues.