What's new

RT-N66U - Erratic Wireless Performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JumpShot20

New Around Here
I just received my N66U on Friday and have been putting it through its paces all weekend. While I've seen great range and throughput on 2.4ghz, I've seen extremely poor range and only intermittent signal on 5ghz.

Take a look at the image I've attached from inSSIDer. The blue line represents my 5ghz signal from my recliner which is a short hallway and one room away from my router. I did not move the entire time it was recording. You can see the signal come and go multiple times. Can anyone explain what might be causing this? Here are my settings on the 5ghz radio:

Firmware Version: 3.0.0.3.102
Wireless Mode: N Only
Control Channel: Auto
Channel Bandwidth: 40mhz
Extension Channel: Auto
Authentication Method: WPA2-Personal
WPA Encryption: AES
Network Key Rotation Interval: 0
TX Power Adjustment: 80

If anyone is able to provide any guidance, I would truly appreciate it. I've read these forums for a long time, but this is the first time I've needed to post. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Wireless Performance.jpg
    Wireless Performance.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,414
I just received my N66U on Friday and have been putting it through its paces all weekend. While I've seen great range and throughput on 2.4ghz, I've seen extremely poor range and only intermittent signal on 5ghz.

Take a look at the image I've attached from inSSIDer. The blue line represents my 5ghz signal from my recliner which is a short hallway and one room away from my router. I did not move the entire time it was recording. You can see the signal come and go multiple times. Can anyone explain what might be causing this? Here are my settings on the 5ghz radio:

Firmware Version: 3.0.0.3.102
Wireless Mode: N Only
Control Channel: Auto
Channel Bandwidth: 40mhz
Authentication Method: WPA2-Personal
WPA Encryption: AES
Network Key Rotation Interval: 0
TX Power Adjustment: 80

If anyone is able to provide any guidance, I would truly appreciate it. I've read these forums for a long time, but this is the first time I've needed to post. Thank you in advance.

Your 5ghz doesn't look that good but your 2.4ghz looks ok. Set your 5ghz channel higher, say 157.

ps. I see your neighbor's 'netgear' is free to use...lol.

It doesn't take much to knock down a 5 GHz signal. Set Transmit power back to its default and set Channel bandwidth to 20 MHz.

I believe 80 is the default for transmit power with the 102 firmware.

Mine changed from 40 to 80 when I upgraded from 90 to 102.

I am on .108 as well and live in a very busy (radio-wise) env. The following settings seem to provide a stable connection to me. Your luck may be different. I recommend getting the amped wifi analyer for your android which has a nice interference graph

Set AP Isolated no
Mulicast Rate : Disabled
RTS Threshold: 2347
DTIM Threshod : 3
Beacon Interval : 50
Enable TX Bursting: Disable
Enable Wireless Mulicast Forwarding : Enable
Enable WMM APSD : Enable
Tx Power adjustment: 80mW
Network Key Rotation Interval : 18000
Channel bandwidth : 40 MHz
Control channel: Auto
Extension Channel Auto
Encryption : WPA2/PSK- w/ AES

I am on .108 as well and live in a very busy (radio-wise) env. The following settings seem to provide a stable connection to me. Your luck may be different. I recommend getting the amped wifi analyer for your android which has a nice interference graph

Set AP Isolated no
Mulicast Rate : Disabled
RTS Threshold: 2347
DTIM Threshod : 3
Beacon Interval : 50
Enable TX Bursting: Disable
Enable Wireless Mulicast Forwarding : Enable
Enable WMM APSD : Enable
Tx Power adjustment: 80mW
Network Key Rotation Interval : 18000
Channel bandwidth : 40 MHz
Control channel: Auto
Extension Channel Auto
Encryption : WPA2/PSK- w/ AES

I have not used 5 GHz much during my ownership period with the RT-N66U.

For 2.4 GHz wireless on the RT-N66U, which has been flawless in terms of stability, I am simply using all the defaults.
I did review the individual settings to make sure they make sense for my needs.
I only updated the security to use WPA2 with AES encryption.

The answer is simple - UPGRADE firmware to .108. You will see a big difference in signal strength on both bands. Do it and report back.

CC

So nothing to add to the discussion.....

I had typied in my earlier post about the OP's 40 MHz setting (as opposed to Auto or 20 Mhz) not being ideal and possibly being the culprit since this has been noted as being a key possible cause of instability.
I was in the midst of validating a scenario that would explain in more detail why 40 MHz could cause wifi instabilit.
I had to run out before I could finish the validation and hence I removed my partial edit (since it was mid sentence) to avoid confusion. My full reply never even made it through.

Yes: 40MHz bandwidth mode requires stronger signals and is of course more vulnerable to interference.

I also just purchased a RT-N66U to replace WNDR3700 and tested a e4200v1
I am having exact same issues. 2.4ghz G has no issue but 5 ghz doesnt work when up stairs in certain areas. Never had an issue with Cisco or Netgear router. Upgraded to .108 then back to .96 same issues both firmware. Contacted support and they gave me some BS about factory restting so I did that still no luck. this thing is about to go back to store!!:mad:

Your 5ghz doesn't look that good but your 2.4ghz looks ok. Set your 5ghz channel higher, say 157.

ps. I see your neighbor's 'netgear' is free to use...lol.

Hi,
In my house channel 40 works best on 5GHz.

While my 5 ghz does not show drops like yours with InSSIDer, I actually get 70-80% signal strength. It just drops me when I am up stairs and does not let me reconnect. Never and issue with Cisco or Netgear (SIGHS!)
I posted a separate topic on my issue so I don't want to rob this post. I seriously think this router has some issue with 5ghz and if that isn't going to work what is the point in spending the extra $ for this router?

Beam Forming on or off?

Was your laptop's wireless adaptor connected to the 2.4 GHz band when you ran the comparison test for 5 GHz?

I notice a 10 - 15 db signal difference when I'm connected to the 5 Ghz band compared to when I'm not connected or connected to 2.4 GHz.

When the laptop is connected to the 2.4 GHz band I can go anywhere in the house and even outside on the deck and the signal does not exceed -50 db. Switch from 2.4 to 5 GHz band and the 2.4 signal drops by at least 10-15 db.

I believe some of this is caused by the Beam Forming circuit in the 66U is only optimized when your devices radio is turned on for that band.

On average my 5 GHz signal reports compared to 2.4 GHz are anywhere between 10-25 db less as I move around the house.

Was your laptop's wireless adaptor connected to the 2.4 GHz band when you ran the comparison test for 5 GHz?

I notice a 10 - 15 db signal difference when I'm connected to the 5 Ghz band compared to when I'm not connected or connected to 2.4 GHz.

When the laptop is connected to the 2.4 GHz band I can go anywhere in the house and even outside on the deck and the signal does not exceed -50 db. Switch from 2.4 to 5 GHz band and the 2.4 signal drops by at least 10-15 db.

I believe some of this is caused by the Beam Forming circuit in the 66U is only optimized when your devices radio is turned on for that band.

On average my 5 GHz signal reports compared to 2.4 GHz are anywhere between 10-25 db less as I move around the house.

Well, you know, as the frequency gets higher, distance and intervening walls, door, furniture, etc. attenuate 5GHz. signals more than 2.4GHz. signals. That's just the physics of wave propagation. So you should expect that 5GHz. signals will drop off faster as you get farther away from the router. On the other hand, at least partly as result of this, there's less interference from neighboring wireless networks on 5GHz, so as long as you're withing range for 5GHz., you can get better speed since channel bonding will work and not bother your neighbors.

While my 5 ghz does not show drops like yours with InSSIDer, I actually get 70-80% signal strength. It just drops me when I am up stairs and does not let me reconnect. Never and issue with Cisco or Netgear (SIGHS!)
I posted a separate topic on my issue so I don't want to rob this post. I seriously think this router has some issue with 5ghz and if that isn't going to work what is the point in spending the extra $ for this router?

Interesting timing since cNet just released their review of the RT-N66U and they were raving about its 5 GHz performance and actually said they were not impressed with 2.4 GHz throughput.

(The 2.4 GHz throughput finding, while subjective and since testing conditions vary, contradicts Tim's tests, user reviews here, as well as reviews at Amazon and newegg although cNet did say it has a very strong signal).

Anyway, when yours drops how far away from the router are you (you said upstairs) and what is the signal strength?

Please send a email direktly to the techs at Networking_Support@asus.com and describe your problem so they can fix this with a new firmware.
Best regards Mrcom

I've already emailed support. I am starting to think they don't care. Its days before they respond and when they do I've been given useless things to do like reboot, reinstall firmware from restoration tool and change channels or to just RMA which I don't think is a hardware issue. Since 2.4 ghz works fine and 5ghz works fine on the first floor.

I felt like I am going crazy so I was able to get my hands on 2 new routers: Asus RT-N56U and Linksys e4200v2
I disconnected the RT-N66u and installed both in the exact same location, settings and clients.
And to my amazement neither router has issues on the 5ghz band at any locations upstairs in my house.
I thought the RT-N66u was supposed to have better throughput and signal than its predecessor RT-N56U
The e4200V2 was installed in 5 minutes and I left everything on auto, it easily outperformed the RT-66NU in the 5ghz band. On the 2nd floor of my house. What gives ?

I tinkered around a lot with the RT-66NU and best results where below
Reduced power to 40 (From 80)
Wireless Mode N Only
Control Channel: 48
Channel bandwidth: 20/40 MHz
Authentication Method WPA2-Personal
WPA Encryption AES

Still drops signal often. I am going to bring my work laptop home tonight and test out the 5ghz network
Just to clear my head that its not personal laptop

Anyway, when yours drops how far away from the router are you (you said upstairs) and what is the signal strength?

The router is in the office on the 1st floor on one side of the house. The bedroom is opposite side of the house
If I had to guess maybe 40-50 diagonal feet

How do you guys have your antennas postioned in 2-3 story house with router on lowest floor ?
Mine is \ | /

Last edited:
Your router obviously must have a problem then because no one else has that problem. Except for the first post, but that person only has one total posts and hasnt posted since.