What's new

RT-N66U official firmware 3.0.0.3_162

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

3.0.0.3.162 seems to work for me.

As far as I am concerned this is the first Asus firmware that even works !

Hopefully there is some decent progress from here forward !

Any improvements on Qos in this release ? Will it slowing down your download and upload speed ?

I'm still quite happy with beta .151.

What are the improvements of .162?

I'm a little bit concerned about the 32 kByte RAM issue in .162.
May be it makes more sense to wait for RMerlins next release...

Hi All,

Just updated my 2 'rt-n66u from .112 to .162 and im having a Big problem.
I am missing the tab with wireless bridge??

Any ideas?

The bridge is still Working but i cant change the bridge settings

Finally :p How about the AICloud? Did not see it as update or improvement.

The AiCloud service is still in beta, and won't launch until the end of August according to Asus.

The AiCloud service is still in beta, and won't launch until the end of August according to Asus.

Thanks Merlin. AICloud is a nice idea.. but did not work well on .155 I will update to FW .162 too see how it is. cheers

I am located in Europe (FW 162) - how does the N66U sense my location? I would like to try power settings beyond 100mW, but it doesnt let me.

But if you set the region to US, you will crippled to only having channels 1-11

Just use the performance tuning page on Merlin's CFW and then save the config and reload it if you want to use OFW.

Thanks Merlin. AICloud is a nice idea.. but did not work well on .155 I will update to FW .162 too see how it is. cheers

There is no AiCloud support in 162. As I said, the service won't launch until the end of August. That probably includes some of the backend services on Asus's side that will be required for full AiCloud functionality.

The build 155 that had it enabled wasn't supposed to be distributed to the public and was probably for internal tests by Asus.

I'm still quite happy with beta .151.

What are the improvements of .162?

I'm a little bit concerned about the 32 kByte RAM issue in .162.
May be it makes more sense to wait for RMerlins next release...

Yes, I'm on .151 now, too, a least a couple of weeks of nice, reliable uptime. I'm not motivated yet to upgrade, most of my pet peeves have been taken care of with .151. The one area that I'd like to see really solid is IPv6, but I don't need it at the moment. We all will at some point, but not yet for me. Comcast doesn't even allow me to play with it yet.

Anyways, very nice and reliable at this point on .151 beta. I'd like to move up to a solid "final" release that has IPv6 fully functional, no memory leaks, etc., at some point, but am not in a hurry at the moment.

Off topic, I just got some good news from Comcast. They're finally adding some more hardware on my side of town either July 27 or August 3. After about a year of declining "prime time" download speed (and a languishing DOCSIS 3 cable modem *smile*), I'm ready to get what I'm paying for again. It will make me very happy to see more than 4Mb/s in the evening, and be able to actually do some streaming on the internet again.

DDNS finally works, but you still cannot change, modify, or delete the admin account (very asinine). I thought that was one of the bugs fixed? Performance seems fine, if not a little better.

The annoying dmesg issue with VPN is still there:
Jul 25 19:37:02 kernel: protocol 0000 is buggy, dev eth0

RMerlin, any reason for this VPN issue? Maybe you can pass on down some information about this, if possible?

The annoying dmesg issue with VPN is still there:

RMerlin, any reason for this VPN issue? Maybe you can pass on down some information about this, if possible?

This happens if you enable broadcast support for the VPN server. I haven't had a chance to look more in depth yet.

This happens if you enable broadcast support for the VPN server. I haven't had a chance to look more in depth yet

Dude, you are the man. One day I may find you and buy you a beer.

mW - Transmit Power...Appreciating an explanation..

Hi,

I have a problem with wireless range in my house, 2.4 & 5 GHz! I feel the router should deliver very much wider coverage...also I don't think the 5GHz is delivering bandwidth speed as it should...the maximmum i got while transfering data (450Mb to 450 Mb) is 6 MB/sec...Thats between my MBP late 2011 & Mac mini 2012!

I bought the RTN66U from the US and I live in Egypt, I tried setting mW from 100 to 500, no gains...

Can someone explain the mW / Transmit Power, how it works? is it safe? can raising it too high damage the router / wireless signal?

What settings should I set to have the maximum wireless range?

Does setting the country / other countries affect this subject?

Thank you all in advance...

5Ghz coverage is terrible compared to the 2,4Ghz band but not on this router on all of them, the RT-N66U has probably has better coverage than others.
My RT-N56U is more or less unusable on the 5Ghz band once you leave the same room.

If yours is from the US you can boost the 5Ghz to 250mW.

5Ghz coverage is terrible compared to the 2,4Ghz band but not on this router on all of them, the RT-N66U has probably has better coverage than others.
My RT-N56U is more or less unusable on the 5Ghz band once you leave the same room.

If yours is from the US you can boost the 5Ghz to 250mW.

Yes, i bought it from the US...

Are you sure I can boost it to 250? it will not harm / damage it?

Does this interfere with Egypt wireless or something? I mean why do they categorise wireless channels/usage per country?

Better, but still some issues

Looks like a bunch of things got fixed, but I still got some issues:
- DCHP reservation doesn't let me add new reservations and apply doesn't seem to do anything.
- Manual QoS: I can add a MAC address and priority, but the "apply" warns that a field can't be empty; not sure which one? (I don't want to enter bandwidth limits)
- Tx Power adjustment can be set to 500, but it still requires 3 x Apple.

Anybody else have these issues?

Looks like a bunch of things got fixed, but I still got some issues:
- DCHP reservation doesn't let me add new reservations and apply doesn't seem to do anything.
- Manual QoS: I can add a MAC address and priority, but the "apply" warns that a field can't be empty; not sure which one? (I don't want to enter bandwidth limits)
- Tx Power adjustment can be set to 500, but it still requires 3 x Apple.

Anybody else have these issues?

1) Make sure you do set "Enable Manual Assignment" to "Yes" first.
2)Make sure you set a "Service name". If it still doesn't work, also set a protocol. That's the only fields (plus MAC) that I have set here for my VoIP ATA.
3) I'm not sure why Asus has put that code in place, but it was voluntarily done this way by their programmers in the HTML pages - it actually checks that you did click three times before applying.