What's new

RT-N66U official firmware 3.0.0.3_162

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I read through the thread and did not notice any comments about wifi performance (or overall performance) with fw 162 vs. wifi performance with older firmware versions.

I am still on fw 112 (at least I believe I upgraded from 108) and it is working fine for me (my ISIP is not on IPv6 so the IPv6 fixes on the N66U won't impact me, nor will anything related to the other fixes from what I can tell) .

I will try to upgrade to 162 this weekend and run some tests but was curious what others here had experienced in terms of wireless performance and also overall performance stability when using 162 versus performance with older firmware revisions.

Thanks!

PS: As a side note, I am happy to report that despite the warm summer months and warm house at times, the N66U's heat sink seems to be doing a good job in dissipating the heat generated by the RT-N66U. That was one of my concerns when I first got it since on the outside it felt very warm (although it turns out this is an indicator that the heat sink is doing its job). The internal temps were pretty steady at about 52 Celsius if I recall the specific value correctly.

Reboot Issues

I am running .162 firmware and currently I am having issues when I access some services that require port forwarding.
I have local service that uses 45631 port and I have set it up in router like this 45631 - 192.168.X.X - 45631 - BOTH
When I try to use this service from local machine router reboots.
Same thing with another local service that requires 5109 port.
Also I am having issues with VPN as well. I can connect just fine but as soon as I try to access some network shares router reboots.
Any ideas?

I guess my first issue has to be NAT Loopback issue. If I switch to local IP address from DDNS it works fine without reboot. still not sure about VPN issue.

I figured out my VPN issue. I needed to switch Broadcast Support to Both and no more reboot issues. However my log is now flooded with protocol 0000 is buggy, dev eth0

I am running .162 firmware and currently I am having issues when I access some services that require port forwarding.
I have local service that uses 45631 port and I have set it up in router like this 45631 - 192.168.X.X - 45631 - BOTH
When I try to use this service from local machine router reboots.
Same thing with another local service that requires 5109 port.
Also I am having issues with VPN as well. I can connect just fine but as soon as I try to access some network shares router reboots.
Any ideas?

The router reboot through VPN s a long-standing issue with Asus's firmware. Disabling GRO support when compiling the firmware resolves the issue (it's what I do with my custom firmware).

Probably same problem with the NAT loopback, tho Asus's loopback code isn't very good either, as it will NAT every single connections between LAN devices.

In any case, both issues are fixed in my custom firmware build.

The router reboot through VPN s a long-standing issue with Asus's firmware. Disabling GRO support when compiling the firmware resolves the issue (it's what I do with my custom firmware).

Probably same problem with the NAT loopback, tho Asus's loopback code isn't very good either, as it will NAT every single connections between LAN devices.

In any case, both issues are fixed in my custom firmware build.
Thank you very much. Your firmware works great. No issues so far.

After upgrading from .112 to .162, I am seeing some very long ping times (to machines on the internet). About every 5-10th ping is ca. 200-1000ms instead of 20-40ms.

Also, opening a OpenVPN connection (using Linux) to my employer is now really slow.

Using PPPoE to connect to the DSL provider.

Anyone else seeing this?

Edit:
It's back to normal. Don't know why. I did nothing to the router since then.

Last edited:
Speed is good on my RT_N66U.

However, I noticed that when I download using Download Managers, I cannot load certain websites or my son cannot login to his Minecraft game, what is wrong? Anyone else ever encounter this?

Download is via a different computer and web access via another. Not using the same machine. During this problem, access to speedtest site is ok with good speeds. Thus, don't think the issue is due to bandwidth being max out.

Tired with .162, Beta .151 and .155 and Asuswrt-Merlin with the same results.

Max setting for Download Managers is 4 concurrent downloads with 3 connections, anything higher will have problem. Strangely, the problem only affects some sites and minecraft game. For unaffected sites, access is as normal.

What is wrong?

I don't understand why the fix is implemented in the beta fw but not the official ones.

Hi I am new, I have a 66u and recently update latest firmware, my main use is for gaming,when I did a test on my ps3 it says the router in use may not support ip fragments,...

I have this same problem and am running Merlin's 3.0.0.4.260.21 firmware. I am getting kicked off of PS3 Black Ops 2 games. Any ideas?

fragmented packets

Started new thread in the more correct forum...

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=99769#post99769

I too am fighting a black hole of lost packets. It seems only to be to packets marked with the "Don't Fragment" flag set that need to be fragmented.

ie: Somewhere in the network path, something isn't responding properly with a rejection when "too large" packets with the "Don't Fragment" flag set are sent.

Upgraded to Merlin's FW due to sharpz44 claim of it being fixed, however jesaf00 and I seem to still be having trouble.

Can anyone confirm that they can now handle packet rejection properly with Merlin's build. I'm starting to suspect my ISP's servers may need updating.

Paul

RT-N66U Merlin's 3.0.0.4.374.38_2
ADSL PPPoE MTU 1492
N10 in bridge mode

Last edited: