What's new

RT-N66U overheating and terrible WAN-LAN throughput

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChilliBYTE

New Around Here
Hi,

My RT-N66U has started to show it's age. The unit is starting to overheat with avg temps between 60-65 deg C. The wireless (low bandwidth stuff) seems to be ok, but as soon as I start to stream a movie, or the wireless camera is switched on, the unit seems to really overheat and shuts down and then restarts. Sometimes it gets stuck in a boot loop and I have to switch it off for 30 mins and then only will it start up.

In December, I was on the latest Merlin fw and have kept up since, but the problem persists.

The unit is out of warranty now also.

I had a black out and I think that when the power came back on there was a surge as the power supply had died. I am not sure if that would have caused a surge inside the device as well and possibly damaged the hardware.

I read in these forums that the voltage regulator can get damaged, I am not sure how I could check this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

There are multiple internal voltage regulators some are FR9888, and they are not easy to replace - but if any fail I doubt it would work at all - mine had clearly "let the magic smoke out". The Asus RT-N16 has internal electrolytic capacitors that fail - these have a finite lifetime which shortens with temperature.

Are you using a genuine Asus 19V DC PSU? I recommend wall mounting so you get good air flow over the big heat sink.

Can you try a fan blowing on the rear vents?

The included power supply is junk. You'll find many failure reports on the net. Mine started turning off randomly and making weird noises. I switched to an Asus EEE 19V power supply which runs a lot cooler and should last a lot longer.