What's new

RT-N66U Repeater Noob Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tonyastro

New Around Here
Hi, I'm a complete noob. I want to use my RT-N66U as a repeater to my Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 router that's on Giggle Fiber internet. I've tried researching for 2 days but I don't understand any of the words I'm reading. Can anyone give me a simple step by step on how to turn my Asus router into a repeater? Basically my problems are how to make my Asus see my Nighthawk router. Usually there's a scan button where it scans all available wifi spots to choose from but I don't see it anywhere on the interface. My phone can see the Asus when it's turned on. Can anyone help?

Have you actually put it in repeater mode in the Administration tab?

Now I can't even get to the Asus rt-n66u (repeater) page when I go to 192.168.1.1! It keeps going to the Netgear (main wifi router) page. Since I can't get a step by step let me give a step by step of what I'm doing:
1 turn on Asus n66u (repeater)
2 plug cable from one of the 4 yellow ports to a laptop
3 go to 192.168.1.1 on a browser
What am I doing wrong?

The repeater has no longer the address 192.168.1.1, but got a new one from your main Netgear router.
You may use the Asus device discovery tool to find the repeater address, or look into the Netgear interface and try to find what address it has given to the repeater.

The repeater has no longer the address 192.168.1.1, but got a new one from your main Netgear router.
You may use the Asus device discovery tool to find the repeater address, or look into the Netgear interface and try to find what address it has given to the repeater.

It says on the manual to type 192.168.1.1 but it still goes to the main wifi Netgear router even though the laptop (connected to the Asus router) is not physically connected to the Netgear. If I try router.asus.com it just times out. I tried the Asus device discovery tool and it cannot find the Asus router connected to the laptop. Could it be broken?

It says on the manual to type 192.168.1.1 but it still goes to the main wifi Netgear router even though the laptop (connected to the Asus router) is not physically connected to the Netgear. If I try router.asus.com it just times out. I tried the Asus device discovery tool and it cannot find the Asus router connected to the laptop. Could it be broken?

Be sure the WiFi on your laptop is off and you are connected to your ASUS router using an Ethernet cable plugged into one of the LAN ports. Just plugging an Ethernet cable doesn't always disable the WiFi.

Ok. I was finally able to get into the Asus page with 192.168.1.1 after a lot of plugging and unplugging (only works when plugged into the 1st port). Still the question of what do I do now. I forgot to post screenshots of my setup and wireless settings. I'll do that when I get home tonight. I have set up repeaters before but there is always a list of wifi spots in the area that you can just click on. I can't seem to find this here. Do I need to input that manually and if so, where would I find that?