What's new

rt-n66u strange behaviour

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pema

New Around Here
Hi!

I have a problem with my n66u...
I had it running up to date Asus WRT and one day I couldn't access the settings page anymore. I was getting a page that some settings have been changed and I need to reconnect.
Since I wanted to change to Merlin because of advanced OpenVPN settings anyway, I did reset the router and then updated it to actual Merlin via the settings page (not the CFE page)!

It did work for a few hours, maybe a day and then I couldn't access the settings page again.

Well long story short.
Now I have a router which doesn't do anything useful. If I put it on I will get only three leds constantly alight. Even if I wait for hours. Once I managed to reset and got a constantly on power led. Didn't help either I couldn't access the router, not even CFE is coming. And there seems to be no activity on any ethernet ports.

I didn't try to update CFE. Just flash the firmware...

What's wrong?

Thx for your help...

Changing firmware will not fix a hardware problem - is it still under warranty? I don't think Asus repair routers under warranty - that's why quite a few turn up on ebay 'untested' - I got one for £20 - it had a failed internal voltage regulator, fortunately I knew someone with tools/skill to replace!

What's wrong?
Hi,

To make sure it's not a software error:
Did you do a factory reset after changeing firmware? And reconfigured the router by hand (no restore of old settings)?

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Well, I guess it is a hardware thing.
Even if some settings are off or the firmware is somehow messed up, I still should be able to get that thing into recovery mode and reflash any firmware. Right?

But resetting NVRAM with the WPS button does just nothing and most of the time I try to get into recovery mode I just get three constant leds.
Sometimes I manage to get one constant power led when I try to get into recovery mode but then I still can not access the router. It seems there is no activitiy on the ethernet ports 1-4.

Unfortunantely I threw away the papers which come with the router after it was working a week or so... and it's just a few days to late to send it back to amazon :(.

Well, I guess it is a hardware thing.
Even if some settings are off or the firmware is somehow messed up, I still should be able to get that thing into recovery mode and reflash any firmware. Right?

But resetting NVRAM with the WPS button does just nothing and most of the time I try to get into recovery mode I just get three constant leds.
Sometimes I manage to get one constant power led when I try to get into recovery mode but then I still can not access the router. It seems there is no activitiy on the ethernet ports 1-4.

Unfortunantely I threw away the papers which come with the router after it was working a week or so... and it's just a few days to late to send it back to amazon :(.

It sounds like you've got some cockpit error.

To get your online PDF user manual, you would go to google and type "N66u firmware" without the quotation marks. There you can download the latest firmware and your PDF user manual. They have both the quick start guide and full PDF user manual right on ASUS website. Follow ASUS instructions on how to reset it to factory defaults ...etc....

*sigh* my comment about the manual was because I can not send it back on warranty. Because that needs packaging and warrynty card and so on.
Not that I don't know where to get a manual...

I had it running up to date Asus WRT and one day I couldn't access the settings page anymore. I was getting a page that some settings have been changed and I need to reconnect.

You may have other complications here but I have seen that error pop up on my n66u and n56u frequently after I changed some settings. After deleting the existing (PC) network settings and making a new connection, everything is fine...until I monkey with the settings again. And yes, making config changes and/or renewing an old config file that contains those changes can make it impossible to reach the router web page until you make a new connection, even/especially after a firmware change. Keep trying to get into the restore mode...sometimes it takes some fooling around...the n66u is hard to brick.

Problem:
Settings have been updated.
Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number.
You will now be disconnected from RT-N66U.
To access the settings of RT-N66U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

Clear the brower cache:

1-Internet Explorer:
a-Tools>Internet options>General TAB>Browsing history: Delete..>Check all but the top one>hit Delete.

2-Fire Fox:
a-Open menu>Options
b-Privacy TAB>"clear all current history">Check all>hit Delete All
c-Advanced TAB>Network TAB>Cached Web Content: Clear Now
d-Advanced TAB>Network TAB>Offline Web Content and User Data: Clear Now

3-Chrome:
a-Enter the following URL in the address bar: chrome://appcache-internals/
b-Select an application and click “Remove”

If you have chosen (default) Authentication Method = http, it should work now.

If you have chosen Authentication Method = https, you also have configured a port number.
The router shall be accessed by entering the following in the browser address bar: https://[IP address]:[port number]
E.g.: https://192.168.1.1:1025