What's new

RT N66U unstable (disk + GUI freeze_

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

subnetman

New Around Here
Hi,

I upgraded my router's firmware to 3.0.0.4.376_3861 yesterday due to instability issues. When downloading torrents to a NAS disk on the router:
- disk "disappears", i.e., Windows can't see mounts any more and the GUI shows no disk
- eventually the GUI freezes and I cannot even log in

Interestingly, the router keeps routing and I still have network access to the Internet.

Any ideas?

Which router? Have you tested with lower settings in the torrenting program?

Have you reset to factory defaults after upgrading to the latest firmware and minimally and manually enter any required information from scratch to secure your router and connect to your ISP?

The router is RT N66U.
I also have the torrent limited to 350KB/s and am using uTorrent to save the files to the NAS drive. This really shouldn't be a big load for either the network, the network hardware (i.e., the router) or the disk drive.

I have not reset the router as I have a lot of configuration (static IPs, QoS rules, etc.) that I don't wish to reproduce. Is this a recommended step after upgrade?

Yes, highly recommended. Especially if you upgraded from a much older firmware.

What is the seeding level set to?

Seeding is limited to 25KB/s.

One data point to add is that one time, before the GUI froze completely, I say the CPU spike to 100%.

What's interesting is that routing keeps working -- I can still print, reach the Internet, etc when the disk and the GUI freeze.

How many connections do you allow the torrent client? Try setting those to a low value.

I have a global maximum of 400 connections, which didn't seem unreasonable to me. Do you have a better # to use?

I've attached a screen-shot of my settings.
utorrent-connections.png

It was previously mentioned that I should go a factory reset and then configure the router from scratch. I'm wondering whether it's sufficient to "Save Settings", "Reset to Factory" and then "Restore Settings" -- or whether this truely has to be a manual process?

Thanks .. however disappointing that is :(

I'll try and get a window to bring down the network and see if that clears up the problem.

Thanks for all the help!