What's new

RT-N66U -vs- RT-AC68U 2.4 GHZ Range

• Thread starter Deleted member 22229
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 22229

Anyone owned both of these routers is there a difference in range for the 2.4GHZ band ? I have both and notice the N66 seems to have better range then the 68U but I am trying to find out if it's the routers or something in my environment causing the difference. If anybody has tested this can you please post what you found. Thanks !!

EDIT-- Both my routers are using Merlin 374.42 firmware.

I have both routers and RT-N66U has by far better wireless coverage then RT-AC68U, and even more if using RT-N66U with SDK5 wireless drivers.

AC68U has even worse signal coverage then the oldy RT-N16, in my opinion this is a ASUS facepalm, considering it's a 2013 router... :(

I wouldn't be surprised that even WL500GP/W having better range, i don't have them anymore, but that's the impression i have from what i recall. I even thought it was a faulty RT-AC68U unit, but i tested 3 RT-AC68U units and even with different hardware revisions :)

Note: I tested RMerlin / Tomato Shibby / DD-WRT latest FWs on RT-N16 / RT-N66U / RT-AC68U and the coverage is always better on RT-N66U then RT-N16U and at last RT-AC68U.

And you don't wanna see RT-AC56U coverage, it's simply riddicullous.

Last edited:
I have both routers and RT-N66U has by far better wireless coverage then RT-AC68U, and even more if using RT-N66U with SDK5 wireless drivers.

AC68U has even worse signal coverage then the oldy RT-N16, in my opinion this is a ASUS facepalm, considering it's a 2013 router... :(

I wouldn't be surprised that even WL500GP/W having better range, i don't have them anymore, but that's the impression i have from what i recall. I even thought it was a faulty RT-AC68U unit, but i tested 3 RT-AC68U units and even with different hardware revisions :)

Note: I tested RMerlin / Tomato Shibby / DD-WRT latest FWs on RT-N16 / RT-N66U / RT-AC68U and the coverage is always better on RT-N66U then RT-N16U and at last RT-AC68U.

And you don't wanna see RT-AC56U coverage, it's simply riddicullous.

Wow that's not a very good review of the 68U not what I was hoping to hear but thanks for the honesty.

Check the Wireless Charts on this website. Tim does very extensive reviews of wireless range, coverage and throughput of both of these.

Anyone owned both of these routers is there a difference in range for the 2.4GHZ band ? I have both and notice the N66 seems to have better range then the 68U but I am trying to find out if it's the routers or something in my environment causing the difference. If anybody has tested this can you please post what you found. Thanks !!

EDIT-- Both my routers are using Merlin 374.42 firmware.

I can confirm your observations, the N66U does have better range and the AC68R has better throughput from the same distance. This is due to hardware improvements in the 68R mostly.

Why does the n66u have better range than the ac68u?

I am contemplating upgrading to the ac68u.

Because the way they are locked/configured on the FW/CFE, after unlocking AC68U and N66 you will notice far better range/coverage on AC68U.

Last edited:
Because the way they are locked/configured on the FW/CFE, after unlocking AC68U and N66 you will notice far better range/coverage on AC68U.

What do you mean by locked? Is there some setting we have to click on, if so what is it?

Also isn't the range determined by where you put the router and how you position the antenna's?

Each router is configured to respect FCC country/region and power rules, also there's different wireless driver optimizations and better PA's at each newer models, so the tendency is always having better coverage / signal on those.

Yes, that part also matters, the place where you have your router is very important. You should have it on the center point of the house, also if you have several floors. If that's not possible you should place it on a higher place vs lower place.

Last edited:
the N66U does have better range and the AC68R has better throughput from the same distance. This is due to hardware improvements in the 68R mostly.
Can anyone confirm this? I mean, does the AC68U have better throughput from the same distance in the 2.4GHz band?

I have the 66U and 68P and the 68P performs much better than the 66U on the 2.4GHz band. Not sure why though.

Thanks, I believe the AC68U is the best overall, then.
Just to make this clear, when you say 66U you mean the N66U, right? Not the AC66U?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!