What's new

RT88U - best Game settings wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rico1911

New Around Here
Dear Com,

i already got alot support from here by reading the posts. Unfortunately I did not find any post about the professional settings on the RT-AC88U. I was reading the router guide.net website but still I don't know which settings are well tested.

Why do I ask? I have a game that I love to play but I have often drops on wifi and I think throughput in general is not best yet.

------------------------
Setup:

Cable Modem -- cat7 -- Asus RT-AC88U (1 Gbit Fibre Line)

Software: Merlin 384.8-2

Smart connect (from settings here from forum post)

Professional settings yet still stock Merlin.

------------------------

Devices I use:

iPhone xsmax
Win 10 PC (ac wifi connection)
Amazon 4k and old stick so 2.4 has to be enabled
Samsung 8

Any advice on best practice settings for the professional part?

Maybe downgrade to older 380 Merlin?

Thanks for read, and help.
Rico

Last edited:
I have a game that I love to play but I have often drops on wifi and I think throughput in general is not best yet.
Internet gaming is problematic in that there are several weak links in trying to achieve a good gaming experience.

First and foremost is your ISP. Some games can be bandwidth hogs and some ISP will throttle back on your effective bandwidth for that game to prevent you from slowing down the internet for everyone else in your neighborhood.

Then there is the routing to the game site. Gaming websites claim to have enough local resources and connection speeds to support millions of users but no one has direct control of how your gaming session is routed through the network. Additionally, the route is dynamic and could change many times during your gaming session.

Finally, time of day. You may find better gaming experiences at 3am as opposed to 3pm.

So, before you go tuning your router find out what speed tests, using multiple websites, show for the devices in your home network. If you are consistently getting speeds at what you are paying your ISP for, I would not tune anything on your router.