What's new

Ruckus Wireless Zoneflex 7982 or 7372 or ...? upgrade from Linksys EA4500

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jp_over

New Around Here
Friends,

I currently have a Linksys EA4500 (Linksys EA4500 App-Enabled N900 Dual Band N Router - 4x Ports, 450 Mbps, Dual-Band, 2.4 GHz/5 GHz) that's about 2 years old. It seems to be fading (lost connections, slow connectivity, etc.). We go through about 1 router every 1-2 years. As such, I'm looking to robust wireless hardware that will last. Here is the network and some usage requirements:

3-5 x PCs
1 x wireless printer
2-5 x smart phones

Network use: lots of RAW photo editing/file transfers, video editing/file transfers and video streaming. In short, heavy multi-media use.

I've seriously looked at the Ruckus line for a long time but have been hesitant for lack of knowledge. In example, my EA4500 and previous routers came with all I needed (power adapter, access point + router built in, web interface, and good instructions for the average "joe").

Besides a power adapter, do I need anything else to connect my cable modem (broadband) to the Ruckus 7982 or 7372 (router/switch?). Also, are these overkill for my goal of rock solid connectivity and fast throughput for the long term (at least 4 years - approximate life span of my desktop systems)?

If I'm being too vague or didn't ask/add something that I should, please advise.

Thanks!

Joe

Network use: lots of RAW photo editing/file transfers, video editing/file transfers and video streaming. In short, heavy multi-media use.
Joe
You aren't moving lots of big photos/videos on WiFi are you? That should be done on a wired connection: Cat5 cable for that kind of load.