What's new

Run two seperate networks over one managed switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maurits

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I've been doing some reading on VLAN's and managed switches to try to understand if they could help with my desired setup. I have not found a definitive answer.

I've typed away for 10 minutes trying to describe what I'd like to do, but find I can't easily capture it, so I drew a diagram of it. I've attached it to this post.
I know it would be possible to use 2 unmanaged switches to achieve the same goal, but
I'd like to do this in order to minimize the amount of separate devices with power supplies and wires ect.

Can anyone tell me if what I want is possible?

Thank you in advance.
Maurits

Attachments

• Network Diagram.png
    Network Diagram.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 607
Can't tell what you're trying to do with your diagram?

I'd like to have the network created by my ISP's router for TV and my NAS seperate from my "home network" that I have created with my own router behind the ISP's. But at the same time I'd like to run the two networks over the same managed switch on the second floor of my home, because there i need more ports for both networks than I currently have.

I could put 2 normal switches in, but that means a lot more mess where the cables come upstairs: power strip, 2 psu's, 2 switches...
The managed switch option looks good from that perspective, I just don't know if I even works hypothetically.

I think it will work if you create 2 VLANs on the managed switch. You will not want to add a default gateway to the NAS's NIC on the 10 network. You only want one default gateway on the NAS.
To me this looks like a LAN and guest network with double NAT on the second router.

to do this you will need a router that supports vlans too or a configurable router to allow both LANs to access WAN properly aside from a semi managed switch. using VLAN would be much simpler though.

Any device that will be part of multiple VLANs must either have 2 interfaces or supports vlans.

Last edited:
I think he substituting double NAT for a router with VLANs. As long as the managed switch has 2 separate VLAN networks the routers do not need VLAN support.

I would use a Cisco SG300 layer 3 switch and do away with the double NAT.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I currently already have the two networks, I just need more ports for both networks.
I know that the NAS can reach the internet via the 196.x network (the default gateway is indeed the ISP router). I can monitor the connections of both NICs on the NAS via its web interface.
The other devices on the 10.x network also have internet connectivity and can reach the NAS via the 10.x NIC.

I think he substituting double NAT for a router with VLANs.

The reason I have 2 routers is the wireless on my old ISP's router was really bad... the second router is an Asus RT-AC66u which provides great wireless coverage on both the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Also the configuration of DHCP server, port forwarding, etc etc is so much easier on the Asus.
And migrating to a new ISP was practically plug and play. I only needed to put my Asus in the DMZ of the ISP router.
The current ISP router isn't much better than the old one but is required for IPTV and voip.

to do this you will need a router that supports vlans too or a configurable router to allow both LANs to access WAN properly aside from a semi managed switch. using VLAN would be much simpler though.

Any device that will be part of multiple VLANs must either have 2 interfaces or supports vlans.

So my ISP router should have VLAN support for this to work? I doubt that is has support for it, but will try to find out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!