What's new

Running Cable, need a little help.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lola

Regular Contributor
Two story rambler/ranch full basement, unfinished.
I am going to run Cat 6 cable from the control box where power comes in from the outside to my kitchen where my computer is and will need a few things. This is where you guys come in, I want to do it correctly and as well as it can be done.
I have 1000 feet of Cat 6 I bought some time ago at an auction ($10.00). Other then the cable I don't have any connectors, wall plates, crimping tool, whatever! I also need the junction box used where the outside wire connects to the inside wire. There must be better ones available then what my house came with (don't know the name of this item)
My basement is unfinished so this is the time to wire it up before it is completed. Everything will be 1KMb/s capable unless you guys know of a faster speed that's now available and not expensive.

Please correct me and give me options on anything you think I should do or know.

I intend to use Leviton (open for suggestions) wall plates and their snap in connectors, most seem to like them, I don't have a pair of crimping pliers so I need a recommendation on a pair that does a good crimp job. I've used cheap tools before to do things and usually that's what one ends up with, a cheap looking job.

If you know the best place to buy the things I need, please don't hesitate to inform me.

Amazon has a couple of crimping kits that come with connectors and a crimping tool, and they're priced pretty reasonable - also pick up a network cable tester - quite a few for less than 20 bucks.

When pulling cable, I always suggest pulling two to a single drop - that way if something fails, you've got a backup.

Amazon- good price and selection

Keystone plates and jacks are easy to use. For going from wall to PC/ device either make your own (frustrating Unless you buy expensive tools) or just buy pre-made patch cables

Edit: since you have extra cable run 1 or 2 extra lines for extra connectionspecial later.

Last edited:
Don't forget Monoprice - sometimes they have very good deals on items like this...

I strongly recommend based on my own personal experience that you purchase a Platinum Tools clamshell crimper, Expensive at Amazon for $74 but well worth it if you have to attach male connectors to Ethernet cables. Until you have tried terminations with a standard crimper and got frustrated you won't appreciate how much easier the Platinum tool and the specialized clamshell connectors it uses makes the job.

As for female connectors the keystone jacks come with a simple plastic punch down tool that works fine.

A standard pinning and most often recommended is 568B though 568A will work. Both ends of the cable must be terminated the same.

Also buy a simple tester for $8 - $12 which will test your cables for correct pinning, reversals and shorts. It will not tell you at what speed the cable will pass data but my experience has been that a cable that is pinned correctly and terminated to minimize the length of untwisted pairs will check out at 1 Gig. No experience with higher data rates.

I strongly recommend based on my own personal experience that you purchase a Platinum Tools clamshell crimper, Expensive at Amazon for $74 but well worth it if you have to attach male connectors to Ethernet cables. Until you have tried terminations with a standard crimper and got frustrated you won't appreciate how much easier the Platinum tool and the specialized clamshell connectors it uses makes the job.

As for female connectors the keystone jacks come with a simple plastic punch down tool that works fine.

A standard pinning and most often recommended is 568B though 568A will work. Both ends of the cable must be terminated the same.

Also buy a simple tester for $8 - $12 which will test your cables for correct pinning, reversals and shorts. It will not tell you at what speed the cable will pass data but my experience has been that a cable that is pinned correctly and terminated to minimize the length of untwisted pairs will check out at 1 Gig. No experience with higher data rates.

Just as a reminder tag the cables well for id. purpose. Paper and pen to draw out your cabling scheme.

Hi CaptainSTX. I don't understand the term "pinning", please explain. Never done Rj45's before.

Platinum Tools clamshell crimper, does it do male and female, does it work with other brand connectors like Leviton? Does it work with other kinds/types of connectors? $74 is pretty expensive for a crimper but I understand cheap tools thoroughly!

Thanks to everyone, your input is going to make this job easier and correctly.

Last edited:
Two story rambler/ranch full basement, unfinished.
I am going to run Cat 6 cable from the control box where power comes in from the outside to my kitchen where my computer is and will need a few things. This is where you guys come in, I want to do it correctly and as well as it can be done.
I have 1000 feet of Cat 6 I bought some time ago at an auction ($10.00). Other then the cable I don't have any connectors, wall plates, crimping tool, whatever! I also need the junction box used where the outside wire connects to the inside wire. There must be better ones available then what my house came with (don't know the name of this item)
My basement is unfinished so this is the time to wire it up before it is completed. Everything will be 1KMb/s capable unless you guys know of a faster speed that's now available and not expensive.

Please correct me and give me options on anything you think I should do or know.

I intend to use Leviton (open for suggestions) wall plates and their snap in connectors, most seem to like them, I don't have a pair of crimping pliers so I need a recommendation on a pair that does a good crimp job. I've used cheap tools before to do things and usually that's what one ends up with, a cheap looking job.

If you know the best place to buy the things I need, please don't hesitate to inform me.

Lola, the rest of the guys have given you good advice on the nitty gritty details as you asked.

My question is do you have a plan for your wiring that includes future growth (switches/AP's), best (main) router location placement and also as sfx2000 indicated, multiple runs to each location too?

To really help a floor plan would be useful. Including indications of where the main router will be located and where the cable runs all end up (utility room? closet? etc.) from each (wired) room in the house.

My biggest tip: Wherever the main router is located, I would suggest pulling between 6 or 12 (or more) cable runs to that location (depending on whether you will ever use only 1/4 WAN/LAN ports or an 1/8 WAN/LAN ports or higher router as your main WiFi router).

Lola, the rest of the guys have given you good advice on the nitty gritty details as you asked.

My question is do you have a plan for your wiring that includes future growth (switches/AP's), best (main) router location placement and also as sfx2000 indicated, multiple runs to each location too?

To really help a floor plan would be useful. Including indications of where the main router will be located and where the cable runs all end up (utility room? closet? etc.) from each (wired) room in the house.

My biggest tip: Wherever the main router is located, I would suggest pulling between 6 or 12 (or more) cable runs to that location (depending on whether you will ever use only 1/4 WAN/LAN ports or an 1/8 WAN/LAN ports or higher router as your main WiFi router).

Hi L&LD. I see what you're saying that's a good idea for future growth/safety with the multiple lines. I will do as you suggest. The first thing I did was draw up a plan, I'll just add multiple lines to it.

Thanks a lot.

Hi L&LD. I see what you're saying that's a good idea for future growth/safety with the multiple lines. I will do as you suggest. The first thing I did was draw up a plan, I'll just add multiple lines to it.

Thanks a lot.

You're welcome. Since you have the cable, you may as well use it. :)

Even if you have to buy more cable to fully flesh out multiple runs to the house, this cost will be insignificant vs. anything you would need to do in the future when everything is all covered and finished (and you've forgotten how/where you wired rooms).

Make a plan (diagram and save it as an image file too, to ensure you can view it in the future) of your wiring and put it in your VIP documents and include in your backups. Take as many photos as possible too of the actual wire runs while they are exposed and keep them in the same location and back those up regularly too. ;)

Hi CaptainSTX. I don't understand the term "pinning", please explain. Never done Rj45's before.

Platinum Tools clamshell crimper, does it do male and female, does it work with other brand connectors like Leviton? Does it work with other kinds/types of connectors? $74 is pretty expensive for a crimper but I understand cheap tools thoroughly!

Thanks to everyone, your input is going to make this job easier and correctly.

Each of the gold plated wires in a RJ11, RJ45 male of female jack is referred to as a PIN.

The Platinum tool is for male fittings only. For female jacks you can use the small plastic punch down tool included with every keystone jack I have ever purchased.

You might be able to crimp other brands of male jacks with the Platinum tool, but I'm not sure if it would correctly set the strain relief clamp.

Platinum RJ45s are awesome but dang they are expensive! Unless you stumble on once open box special on amazon.

What's so difficult about terminating a RJ45? Well it's 8 different wires that must be put in the same order on both ends otherwise your data speeds will stink. Imagine trying to thread shoe laces while wearing heavy gloves.

If you are doing a lot of those Leviton "female" keystone ends terminated to wall plates recommend a 110 punch down tool that cuts. It makes a clean connection and cuts the wire at the same time. It is spring loaded and takes some force to compress, but not bad. It is helpful to have something sturdy to push other than your hand in the room locations. This one for $16 seems like a good bet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AZK4D/?tag=snbforums-20

Further - I agree on multiple Ethernet drops to key locations - office/work spaces, entertainment/TV locations are big ones. Ethernet should really be at ever TV location. An argument could be made for 2.

My big recommendation would be to run a Ethernet cable for a ceiling mounted wireless access point(s). Depending on the size of your home one may be enough. It is really dependent on size, construction materials and layout. Wi-Fi coming from the middle of your home will outperform a router/modem stuck in the corner of the basement. Often a kitchen pantry is a central location and works great for this also allowing the wires and access point can be out of sight. Separating the router from the Wi-Fi is a bit harder/complex to get done, but often times it performs better. - my 2 cents.

After re-reading your original post, it appears only your basement is unfinished. So some of the above may not be possible or difficult to do, but now would be the time to get wire to those various locations if you can. It will give you more flexibility in the future.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

In 3 years my home office has been moved 3 times. This was possible due to running extra cables when I first started the adventure.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!