What's new

Running os on nas

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Navster

New Around Here
hi I'm a newbie to the server world. I was wordering is it possible to have an os on a nas that a Mac or iPad Can connect to and run applications on the server. I installed Windows 10 VMware on my server but can only access it on my pad if MacBook is running through a Vnc. I want to be able to connect with my pad or phone or any other device and run any application or web browser off the device connected to nas is this possible at all, without my MacBook running?

Depends on the types of applications you want to run. But as you have already found out, the ipad is mostly for consumption of media and light gaming. Not for doing what you want it too.

What do you want to do on the NAS via a mobile client?

hi I'm a newbie to the server world. I was wordering is it possible to have an os on a nas that a Mac or iPad Can connect to and run applications on the server. I installed Windows 10 VMware on my server but can only access it on my pad if MacBook is running through a Vnc. I want to be able to connect with my pad or phone or any other device and run any application or web browser off the device connected to nas is this possible at all, without my MacBook running?

Some NAS boxes can host VMs, such as those from QNAP. Any VM can host an OS, assuming it has the physical resources available. All Windows based OSs can support TeamViewer, a remote desktop program. TeamViewer has client apps for just about every computer, including tablets.

So, yes, you can do it. Quite easily.

Just for fun, I used to Remote Desktop in using TeamViewer from an old Motorola tablet to a desktop using TeamViewer. In fact, your idea is great for being able to securely connect from anywhere to resources at home. Your only limitation will be the application you want to use ... for example fast gaming might be a poor choice of apps in this configuration. Remote TV watching is only so-so due to delays, although TeanViewer keep improving the software and it might be OK by now. Most normal stuff, such as running Office or a browser or transferring files is just scratching the surface.

Doing something similar to an OS in a VM hosted by an always on NAS is probably going to be pretty common in time.

A similar discussion was here a short while ago. Some people used different remote desktop apps and were happy with them. I'm a TeamViewer fan but keep an open mind.

Last edited: