What's new

running scripts on ASUS-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chandras002

Occasional Visitor
Dear friends,

Cheers! from chandra. New to Asus -Merlin. Using Firmware 380.63 _2 on Asus RT- AC88U. So far, it is works well. :)
Now, i have attached the USB drive to modem. Wish to run the tcpdump and collect the traffic by ftp.
Following the this blog helped..
>> https://swenotes.wordpress.com/2013/10/15/monitoring-asus-rt-n66u/
tcpdump, nano installed. I can ssh my router from my Windows 10 pc and run pcpdump command and save it as pcap file.
a) So, run the script and disconnect ssh
b) script keep on running (tcpdump collecting data) write to the file every 60 min with time stamp(file name_time stamp).
c) will collect transfer the by ftp from Router to my PC/linux machine
d) Untill i restart the Router, it should be keep on running.

Here is my observation: (may be missing some basic understanding :rolleyes: )
1. After ssh, getting login - admin@RT-AC88U-1D88:/tmp/home/root# , so this Router Flash memory?
2. where to run the script abc.sh - is it here?
/tmp/mnt/SONY_8X/entware/etc/init.d/abc.sh (with correct file permission)

or /jffs/scripts/abc.sh
there is anothe asus-jffs folder as well.

i have some doubt in script itself.. ;) (basic script attached as txt file)
Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks for your time and efforts. One successful implementation, i will blog it.

With regards,
chandra

Attachments

• bash_script_simple.txt
    284 bytes · Views: 565
Dear friends,

Cheers! from chandra. New to Asus -Merlin. Using Firmware 380.63 _2 on Asus RT- AC88U. So far, it is works well. :)
Now, i have attached the USB drive to modem. Wish to run the tcpdump and collect the traffic by ftp.
Following the this blog helped..
>> https://swenotes.wordpress.com/2013/10/15/monitoring-asus-rt-n66u/
tcpdump, nano installed. I can ssh my router from my Windows 10 pc and run pcpdump command and save it as pcap file.
a) So, run the script and disconnect ssh
b) script keep on running (tcpdump collecting data) write to the file every 60 min with time stamp(file name_time stamp).
c) will collect transfer the by ftp from Router to my PC/linux machine
d) Untill i restart the Router, it should be keep on running.

Here is my observation: (may be missing some basic understanding :rolleyes: )
1. After ssh, getting login - admin@RT-AC88U-1D88:/tmp/home/root# , so this Router Flash memory?
2. where to run the script abc.sh - is it here?
/tmp/mnt/SONY_8X/entware/etc/init.d/abc.sh (with correct file permission)

or /jffs/scripts/abc.sh
there is anothe asus-jffs folder as well.

i have some doubt in script itself.. ;) (basic script attached as txt file)
Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks for your time and efforts. One successful implementation, i will blog it.

With regards,
chandra

Chandra,
Did you ever get this working? I have been using dd-wrt on an asus n16 router with a couple iptable command lines mirroring all traffic to a dedicated netbook running win xp and wireshark for years and it has worked great. I breifly explored tcpdump on ddwrt but gave up on it. Now I have a new ac66 and would like to ditch the pc to “catch” the traffic. This would be perfect if it isn’t to complicated to implement.

Thanks,
Bevan

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!