What's new

Running Speed Test Halts Everything

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kevin Cabral

Occasional Visitor
Is this normal behavior? Just noticed it now. I was testing my speed while downloading a game on Steam. The moment the speed test begun, my download literally went from 4.5MB/s to 0MB/s. Any ideas? My router is:RT-AC68U

Is this normal behavior? Just noticed it now. I was testing my speed while downloading a game on Steam. The moment the speed test begun, my download literally went from 4.5MB/s to 0MB/s. Any ideas? My router is:RT-AC68U

I vaguely recall there being a setting in steam client that pauses downloads if it detects download traffic on the network or if a game is running. Take a look in the settings.

I vaguely recall there being a setting in steam client that pauses downloads if it detects download traffic on the network or if a game is running. Take a look in the settings.
Not sure if it does or not, I'll check. However, I do notice when running speedtest, it slows down my PC's internet. I'm so confused why lol. Not sure if the router is being flooded with something and I'm not sure what it is. I did unplug my modem and router. Allowed it to sit unplugged for a few mins before plugging it back in. I am running AsusWRT-Merlin firmware.

Use QoS.

Check out my script and thread post (RMerlin subforum) if you will be using adaptive QoS.

Script does support stock firmware but works significantly better on RMerlin. I still have to update install instructions for stock firmware users but stock firmware is still partially supported!

Update to RMerlin if you can.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!