What's new

RX usage tripled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why do you need a custom script for this?

You may be interested what the particular device is getting. What is coming to the router doesn't matter much anyway.

Your choice, but I would offload some of the scripts from this router. It has under 100MB RAM available after boot. May start working better.

people were sharing lists of there top addons

The reason I always say - don't copy someone else's configuration and don't adopt someone else's ideas. Sounds like you have installed some of the scripts because someone else is running them. This someone else though may have a different model router and perhaps different needs. Anyway, your router - your choice.

I wish @Tech9 would finally stop mimicing my setup... I still don't understand to this day how he hacks through my private WAN IP to steal my daily backupmon backups!

steal my daily backupmon backups

I found sharing the same private WAN IP with you has some unexpected benefits.

I have your daily backupmon backups and also received your wire transfers to my bank account. Thank you for your generosity!

I found sharing the same private WAN IP with you has some unexpected benefits.

I have your daily backupmon backups and also received your wire transfers to my bank account. Thank you for your generosity!

There can only be one 192.168.50.1... it's unique, and I have claimed it! Stop using my private WAN IP! I'm cancelling all my credit cards. I will be living on Taco Bell gift cards from now on. 😉

I will be living on Taco Bell gift cards from now on.

Not sure what your property is worth, but with the backups I managed to get access to... you may have to stay in Taco Bell.

Not sure what your property is worth, but with the backups I managed to get access to... you may have to stay in Taco Bell.

You're forcing me to live off-grid at Taco Bell. Worth it!

Last edited:
I just saw the opportunity and created my own version of KILLMON. It was released silently a week ago. Now you know what happens when you accidentally share online your private WAN IP. You can have the IP now - it's the only thing you have left. I hope you started making friends at Taco Bell. I don't provide KILLMON emotional support.

OK so I should just set it to manual not automatic?
You have other options such as once per hour during prime usage times if you want which will consume less data.

To save yourself from an overage this month eliminate automatic tests until the future. On my router each speed test uses between 600 - 800 MB of data.

Speed tests are a troubleshooting tool, not a monitor tool. Unnecessarily loading your ISP and the remote test site's servers on a daily basis is totally unnecessary. Speedtests should only be run when trying to actively troubleshoot something.

@bbgarnett, I would uninstall connmon, ntpMerlin, spdMerlin and FlexQoS from your router. With your Gigabit ISP line there is nothing much to monitor and you don't need QoS. They are only taking precious RAM - you don't have much available. If you have no ports open to Internet and no intentions to limit yourself - you can remove Skynet as well. The built-in firewall drops all inbound unsolicited connections by default. Built-in Traffic Analyzer and vnStat add-on script basically provide the same information. You may need YazFi if you want custom DNS servers or VPN to Guest Networks. If none of it is in use - default Guest Networks are good enough. scMerlin provides some useful shortcuts, but only if you need or use them. The rest is stats and some duplicated - already existing Tools menu. Your model router is probably the worst to run Asuswrt-Merlin + many add-on scripts due to limited resources. If your router gets to swap file use due to low RAM - it's practically dead and you have to restart it.

It's a very good router, but with just enough resources to run Asuswrt or Asuswrt-Merlin with Trend Micro components. Keep it light and simple and it will serve you well.

I must publicly confess that I've been piggybacking on your address, too, for quite some time...
What? You too??? I don't even know what to say. So much for privacy on the Internet!

I read this and sympathize with you and anybody with kids is going to push or exceed the cap. 5 years ago I moved from a Spectrum area to a Comcast area and the data caps were annoying and nothing but a money grab for a money grubbing, unaccountable, corporate conglomerate. Thankfully we moved back last month from the Comcast area and back to a Spectrum area where there are ZERO data caps.

I, too, have been blessed with no data caps. In any event I'm not abusive, but it's nice to be so appreciated as a customer.

@bbgarnett, I would uninstall connmon, ntpMerlin, spdMerlin and FlexQoS from your router. With your Gigabit ISP line there is nothing much to monitor and you don't need QoS. They are only taking precious RAM - you don't have much available. If you have no ports open to Internet and no intentions to limit yourself - you can remove Skynet as well. The built-in firewall drops all inbound unsolicited connections by default. Built-in Traffic Analyzer and vnStat add-on script basically provide the same information. You may need YazFi if you want custom DNS servers or VPN to Guest Networks. If none of it is in use - default Guest Networks are good enough. scMerlin provides some useful shortcuts, but only if you need or use them. The rest is stats and some duplicated - already existing Tools menu. Your model router is probably the worst to run Asuswrt-Merlin + many add-on scripts due to limited resources. If your router gets to swap file use due to low RAM - it's practically dead and you have to restart it.

It's a very good router, but with just enough resources to run Asuswrt or Asuswrt-Merlin with Trend Micro components. Keep it light and simple and it will serve you well.
Thanks and OK I will re evaluate my needs. Also I have no open any ports and If I need to access something like my Plex Server I just use Tailscale. I guess I have been lucky so far as to not have had any issues with the amount of scripts/sddons I've had installed.