What's new

Samsung S6 5ghz battery drain (AC68u)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GoNz0

Very Senior Member
Hi, I know old wireless drivers had some issues quite a few versions ago but I thought they had all been fixed. My Samsung S6 is using nearly 10% battery an hour when on 5ghz, if I put it on 2.4ghz I am getting about 4-5% an hour drain. On 4g this drops around 2%

I can live with 4-5% but 10% is bonkers.

I am on 380.59 merlin build on both AC68s having only restored the IP assignments to devices, the phone was factory reset after the update Friday to see if that would sort it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I got the same on my Galaxy J5 while on same version of XWRT for the R7000. If I revert back to the previous version, this drain stops. I'm currently on Tomato and WIFI is virtually using no battery at all

same here: AC68U (Merlin FW 380.58) + HTC ONE M8 (Android 6.0) 5GHz wireless battery drain like crazy

I am not sure when the problem started, I have noticed my phone is loosing power all of the sudden
I have tried Merlin FW 380.59 but it didn't helped, so I have flashed FW 380.58 back
after flashing to 380.58 I did - Factory default - restore (full reset) and all settings I have applied again (by hand) not by "restore settings" file in order to eliminate potential problems with previous configuration that might stuck somewhere

I have switched to 2.4GHz wireless and "disabled" 5GHz on my phone
Wi-Fi -> Settings -> Advanced -> WiFi frequency band -> choose 2.4GHz only
you will need to turn OFF WiFi, and turn it back ON in order for changes to be applied
compare battery usage before and after, it should help, found this tip on XDA forums

Last edited:
2.6%hr today on 2.4ghz, phones basically been sat idle but compared to nearly 10% on 5ghz somethings really broke.

I had the same problems with my S5, S6 Edge Plus and now my S7 Edge.

Turning off IPv6 fixed it for me.

Is your phone connected at AC or just N? I am not getting drain problems at all on a Blackberry Passport hooked at AC speed.