What's new

Sanity Check - Setting Up a Slave Router Behind the Main Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gustavio

New Around Here
Hello all,

I just completed this configuration and it seems to work fine; however, I would like to make sure:

The main router is an EnGenius ESR9850v2 with IPV6 and firewall.
The slave router is a Netis Beacon AC1200 WF2861 (no IPV6 or firewall).

Here are the screenshots of my setup for both routers:

engenius.jpg

netis1.jpg

Note: LAN to LAN connection via Cat 6 cable (no Wan connection)

netis2a.jpg

netis3.jpg

netis4.jpg

So, did I do this correctly or is there more to do? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,

gus

The main router is an EnGenius ESR9850v2 with IPV6 and firewall.
The slave router is a Netis Beacon AC1200 WF2861 (no IPV6 or firewall).

Question is -- why do you need two routers inside your network - as that will drive the answer...

the backend router should probably have a fixed IP for management purposes, and then use RIP to learn the routes...

Hi sfx2000,

To answer your question, my main router only has 2.4g capabilities but it provides IPV6 addressing and has a firewall. My slave router has 5g capabilities and I use that for my xbox one and laptop; however, it lacks IPV6 addressing and it does not have a firewall either. So, with the two linked together, I get the best of both worlds because all of my connected devices now have IPV6 addresses and they all pass the GRC Shields UP test now (I wasn't 100% stealth with the Netis as the main router BTW). Thanks for replying too!

gus

Last edited:
Hi again sfx2000,

Could you help with the specific values I should insert on the static routing page? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "RIP learn the routes?" FYI, I am really a noob at this stuff!

Thanks,

gus

UPDATE:
I forgot to mention I can access the slave router's management page with the slave's LAN IP address.

Take router 2 out of the picture by making it a switch - switches work at the MAC/Ethernet layer, so let Router1 handle the routing...

Convert Router2 into AP/Bridge Mode, move the upstream connection over to LAN1 from WAN, and you'll be fine...

Simple, flat, and fast - and since switches, like I repeat again, work at the MAC layer, you'll still have IPv6 across it...

Done...

Thanks! I will go that bridge route if my current configuration gives me any trouble. However; right now, it is working fine and my primary goal is to get some help in verifying I set up the main-slave (aka cascading) configuration correctly. Now, in doing some research, I read many articles and some recommended cascading over bridging so that's why I went that route. Anyway, if someone could help me verify I did this cascading configuration correctly, it would be greatly appreciated. Again, thanks for your help sfx2000.

gus

Again, you don't need to have the static routes in place, so as long as the enGenius is the primary WAN connection, have the Netis connected to the LAN port on the enGenius with the LAN port of the Netis.

Still have the static ip/netmask on the Netis for management purposes, making sure it is outside of the DHCP server range...

WAN <---> Eng <---LAN1-to LAN1 ---> Netis

This should allow you to use the WLAN and remaining LAN ports on the Netis, along with the LAN ports on the enGenius...

Hi again sfx2000,

I think you are telling me that my setup is OK because I already have the wiring configured as you suggested ; however, I think you are implying it might be advantageous to add the static IP for management purposes. However, since I can already access all the management options via the Netis LAN IP address, I'm not sure what additional benefits the static IP might yield. Anyway, thanks for your advice and patience. Right now, I think I'm good-to-go with the configuration "as-is."

Cheers,

gus