What's new

Save Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stambeccuccio

When you reset router (or because there are problems, or because you did some testing, or because it is required by a firmware update) the thing that annoys me the most is having to enter all IP addresses and their hostname, manually and individually.
This thing is very laborious and tedious, especially if you have many devices to manage.

Is there a way to save just those settings and restore them after reset?
If yes, how to do?
Thank you in advance for reply.

fne53l.jpg

Many posts like yours. Please use search (google) for answers.

Or, just use john9527's NVRAM Save/Restore utility directly. ;)

Ok, thank you, but you have not been of any help. The utility you indicated is not for everyone and also it's not very transparent to user's eyes.

I'm not a nerd or a linux user, and I do not have time and desire to learn procedures and somewhat complicated commands for the typical user and moreover not always working therefore. Considered that my need is a need felt by many others, I kindly ask to The Magic Merlin if you can put a button for saving (and recovery) only such data in the right page.

I do not think it's a difficult thing to implement and it would make happy many users, making everything much more friendly and fast.

Mine is a request from a point of view of an average user and a prayer addressed to Merlin for implement this feature.

That's all ;)
Thanks for attention.

Code:
nvram get dhcp_staticlist

Code:
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="blah"
nvram commit

I have no plan of implementing partial UI settings on the webui, because that is far too specific, and the 30 secs it takes to do it over SSH overset the 30 hours it would take to start implementing a granular save/restore feature.

I'm not a nerd or a linux user, and I do not have time and desire to learn procedures and somewhat complicated commands

I'm the same, but I am good at reading the instructions on the utility, and I can cut and paste commands in the SSH client.

It really isn't that hard and once you have done it, the sense of accomplishment is huge.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Thanks Merlin, I Enable SSH and execute commands you posted.
I view the list of Manually Assigned IP, but then how do I save them?
And then, how do I restore them?
2j79jl.jpg

2j79jl.jpg

If you just did run "nvram set dhcp_staticlist="blah" then you just erased all your reservations, and replaced them with the word "blah"...

You are supposed to insert all the content returned by the first command in place of "blah" when reconfiguring the router. First command gives you the list so you can keep a copy of it, and the two others are where you insert what you kept before.

IF you have putty and know how to use all you have to do is go to http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r23.19521/

Download read the readme and do exactly what it says and you will be able save all the settings no need to understand anything but know how to read and follow instructions :D

Thank Merlin. I realized that I deleted everything.
I failed my purpose.
Okay. It does not matter. I give up.
Thread closed, I go by another road.

Thank Merlin. I realized that I deleted everything.
I failed my purpose.
Okay. It does not matter. I give up.

Sorry, that is not how we do things here. Nobody gives up and failure is not an option.

What you experienced is called learning the hard way, but nothing else make you learn with just a single lesson. :)

You have the info you need. Now, practice your new knowledge and you will soon be helping others out too.

:)

Sorry, that is not how we do things here. Nobody gives up and failure is not an option.

What you experienced is called learning the hard way, but nothing else make you learn with just a single lesson. :)

You have the info you need. Now, practice your new knowledge and you will soon be helping others out too.

:)

Ditto +++ that! Let's see, there are so many repeat questions coming up all the time. Someone said to me once, "I don't have time to learn this and that. Just help me how to do it" My answer was "Every one has 24 hours a day. I wish I could stretch that into 26 hours. I'll help you for sure when you are stuck trying to figure out something but "Just help me?" Just same thing happens when I go to my community concert band. Some shows up without practicing a piece
enough and try to free loafing....

I have no plan of implementing partial UI settings on the webui, because that is far too specific, and the 30 secs it takes to do it over SSH overset the 30 hours it would take to start implementing a granular save/restore feature.

Having reviewed the code - I agree - not much utility here...

Once clients have an assigned DHCP address - DNSMasq generally lets the client keep it.

If one wants to truly have a static address, keep it out of the DHCP scope.

nvram show | grep dhcp_staticlist > shirt

put shirt on a USB move USB to widows download a editor NANO for windows is a good one

now use a editor (nano)
append to start of line
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="
append end of line with "
nvram commit

dhcp_staticlist <macaddress>IPaddress>name

save it

my dhcp

nvram set dhcp_staticlist="<macaddress >192.168.1.188>AC68U-80" t
his could be very long, I have 32 devices.....
nvram commit

echo "DHCP Updated"
echo "NVRAM Commited"
echo "REBOOT AC68U"
echo ""
sync
sync
sync

move the USB back to the router

in shell cd /mnt/xxx the USB device
in directory /mnt are the mounted devices on the USB

ls -l you should see the files shirt and dhcp excute dhcp or shirt

admin@RT-AC56R-17A8:/tmp/mnt/USB8GIG# ls -l
drwxrwxrwx 1 admin root 4096 Feb 28 07:49 System Volume Information
-rwxrwxrwx 1 admin root 1373 Apr 27 14:40 dhcp
-rwxrwxrwx 1 admin root 1275 May 1 11:23 shirt
drwxrwxrwx 1 admin root 4096 Jul 31 2015 systemlog
admin@RT-AC56R-17A8:/tmp/mnt/USB8GIG#

then chmod +x shirt
cp shirt dhcp

chmod +x dhcp

./dhcp
:eek: ... too complicated and laborious for me!
Thanks anyway :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!