What's new

Scheduled Backup to USB Drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nheather

Occasional Visitor
Is there such a NAS that does this.

Intelligent scheduled backup to an external USB (3.0 Preferable).

That is I can leave it connected and each night it will back up to USB. Intelligent in that the first time it will copy a lot but the next night only what has changed that day.

I only need a basic NAS for central file store but have a background backup is a must on my feature list. The WD Cloud had been recommended as meeting my needs but after research found that it can't do scheduled backups to USB.

Cheers,

Nigel

Yes. Synology and QNAP do what you ask for. The only issue is that some brands of USB3 drives do not spin-down with inactivity.
I used to use 3.5 in. drive in a USB3 enclosure.
I now use a 2.5 in. drive in a USB3 enclosure. I can easily take that drive and hide it from burglars. I have more than one 2.5/3.5 in. drive with backups.

I also have a drive dock - I can just stick in a bare drive (either size) and do a backup, then pop out the drive.

Mine's a DS212 (getting old but sill well meets my needs and uses the latest NAS software release from Synology.

Be sure to try the on-line demos at their web sites.

The WD cloud is primitive but well marketed.

That would make it worth getting a Synology or QNAP in my eyes.

Will have a look at their demos.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hmmm! Played with the Synology demo and I am none the wiser. I could find Cloud Sync and Glacier Sync but those are both to external cloud environments.

There was nothing in External Devices.

So I'm still unsure what facilities exist to backup to USB.

Cheers,

Nigel

Both vendors have a nice backup program with schedules you define.
On synology, one way to get to the UI for the backup utility is to clock on the top left icon that has a diamond and three squares. Mouse hover and you'll see "Main Menu". Click on the icon and you'll see a pop-up set of icons, one of which is called "Backup and replicate".

QNAP is similar

see enclosure

Attachments

• 2015-09-19_125718.pdf
    20.5 KB · Views: 291

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!