What's new

Seagate Debuts Five Small-Biz NASes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whsbuss

I hope we get a full test of this new line of NAS from Seagate. I'd like to have it compared to the WD cloud devices. Many of us still complain about slow transfer speed on the WD NAS.

I hope we get a full test of this new line of NAS from Seagate. I'd like to have it compared to the WD cloud devices. Many of us still complain about slow transfer speed on the WD NAS.
Review is in progress, but waiting for Seagate to send new drives. The ones in the review sample do not match those shipping in customer product.

Review is in progress, but waiting for Seagate to send new drives. The ones in the review sample do not match those shipping in customer product.

Thank you Tim. I'll await your finding before deciding on the MyCloud Mirror and the new Seagate NAS.

Did Seagate find a source for good NAS software?
Seagate purchased LaCie in 2012. LaCie is now focused exclusively on attached storage products and Seagate does NASes. Design team consists of both LaCie and Seagate people, but to my understanding is spearheaded by the old LaCie management.

I was impressed by the 8 bay rackmount. They have a way to go before they have all the features that the competition has. But if they can produce a solid NAS without major flaws, they'll get some share.

Consumer LaCie got many bad reviews on software.
Maybe a Phoenix revival is in process?

Truly, I don't think that Seagate or WD is capable of designing and supporting a high quality NAS. Just not their forte'

Truly, I don't think that Seagate or WD is capable of designing and supporting a high quality NAS. Just not their forte'

I can agree with your statement. I still use a WD MyBook Live for time machine and full backups of all my media. Looking for a cheaper RAID solution, Synology is too expensive for my use. I want to get away from the Google Drive or OneDrive for sharing with family members. WD's sharing (non-NAS user) solution sucks.

As it happens my LaCie 5Big Network disk just lost it's second disk this past week. It had been rocking 5x Seagate 2TB in RAID 10+Spare.

Back when I bought that aged beast it was loaded with 5x 500 GB and I ran it RAID5. I twice upgraded it; first to 1TB drives, then to 2TB drives.

Bad software. Yes. Basically zero features. Pig slow, too.

Once I rescue some of the contents I'm considering an alternative. That Asustor AS-304T looks promising.

Michael

As it happens my LaCie 5Big Network disk just lost it's second disk this past week. ...

Bad software. Yes. Basically zero features. Pig slow, too.

Michael

Why would Seagate buy LaCie? Just a mindless acquisition by their CEO/CFO with zilch technical insight?

Why would Seagate buy LaCie? Just a mindless acquisition by their CEO/CFO with zilch technical insight?

Actually, it could make some sense. LaCie had made a concerted effort to develop its brand with respect to the creative markets. They put in a pretty decent showing at some of the video, broadcast and post-production trade shows. They were selling large, cheap storage into the low-end of those markets.

The high-end of those same markets is where SANs come into play.

If the brand was in good standing, but the business was shaky, then as a major supplier Seagate may have actually acquired the company for very little real money.

I have never been impressed with the wretched performance, buggy software and expired support that is RAID-in-a-box. The best solution is the combination of an Areca RAID card with Toshiba drives. Rock solid with a reputation for support, quality, and as few bugs as can be expected from a computer product.

This won't be the cheapest solution, but definitely the best and very low chance of losing data. As always "RAID is not a backup", so don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Some or many may disagree, or clarify "best".

. . . Rock solid with a reputation for support, quality, and as few bugs as can be expected from a computer product.

To the above attributes I will add extreme high performance, far beyond gigabit network speeds. This performance can be easily accessed for local file operations such as backup, file system check, large file manipulations, or video editing however. One can plug in a removable or external SATA hard drive for efficient backup or file transfer operations that are much faster than Ethernet.

Proprietary NAS boxes are a pig in a poke, IMHO. You get whatever they want to give you, bugs, lack of features and all. A proper RAID card in a PC provides complete control, access (remote or otherwise) using the standard well-known windows (or Linux if you want) features, or even a full-blown server. Typically the RAID array is configured via a fairly intuitive web GUI, probably not that different from proprietary NAS.

Each to their own.

Well for someone looking to just backup and stream for the home, these NAS will do the job, bugs and all.

To the above attributes I will add extreme high performance, far beyond gigabit network speeds. This performance can be easily accessed for local file operations such as backup, file system check, large file manipulations, or video editing however. One can plug in a removable or external SATA hard drive for efficient backup or file transfer operations that are much faster than Ethernet.

Proprietary NAS boxes are a pig in a poke, IMHO. You get whatever they want to give you, bugs, lack of features and all. A proper RAID card in a PC provides complete control, access (remote or otherwise) using the standard well-known windows (or Linux if you want) features, or even a full-blown server. Typically the RAID array is configured via a fairly intuitive web GUI, probably not that different from proprietary NAS.

Each to their own.
Possibly overstated?

WD has proven for years now that they are not able to produce a decent NAS firmware. WD MyCloud is a nightmare.

A month ago they broke their negative record by introducing a firmware with 64K RAM pages that showed bad side effects and forced a lot of unhappy users to downgrade to the previous version...

WD has proven for years now that they are not able to produce a decent NAS firmware. WD MyCloud is a nightmare.

A month ago they broke their negative record by introducing a firmware with 64K RAM pages that showed bad side effects and forced a lot of unhappy users to downgrade to the previous version...

I agree. I still use their Mybooklive 2TB for the home network and for the most part has been stable. I hope someone besides Synology and Qnap has a decent economy NAS for the home.

So has anyone purchased the new Seagate 2 or 4 bay? There are 14 reviews on Amazon and most are positive.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!