What's new

Seagate NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Runey

New Around Here
I recently bought a Seagate NAS 4-Bay. It was going cheap, cheap, cheap. Not the worlds greatest NAS but it does the job and was easy to set up. It is using a Linux based OS called NAS OS 4. Supposedly there is an API for development of third-party apps. However Seagate aren't making it easy to find the necessary information and their support is non-existent. I wanted to try my hand at adding some apps (Sonarr, CouchPotato, Headphones) and was wondering if anyone out there might have some information that can get me started.

NAS in question: http://www.seagate.com/au/en/products/network-attached-storage/business-storage/seagate-nas/

Yeah, kind of harsh, but you can reuse the drives!

Yeah, kind of useless since it does nothing to actually to actually answer my question. Thanks for coming though.

On an actually helpful note Seagate finally responded. They should hopefully be sending me the information I need soon.

Yeah, kind of useless since it does nothing to actually to actually answer my question. Thanks for coming though.

On an actually helpful note Seagate finally responded. They should hopefully be sending me the information I need soon.

Your question doesn't have a good answer. You can't get silk from a sow's ear, as they say.

I think what stevech was getting at is, if you went with QNAP or Synology, all those apps you want would be already available, saving you a LOT of trouble in trying to port them (and maintain them) for the Seagate NAS.

It comes down to: how much is your personal time worth? Is it worth more, or less than the price difference from a QNAP/Synology NAS, with better active support?

(and there's also the fact that Seagate doesn't have a very good reputation when it comes to NAS, compared to the two others mentionned).

It comes down to: how much is your personal time worth? Is it worth more, or less than the price difference from a QNAP/Synology NAS, with better active support?

I got the Seagate NAS dirt cheap to use purely as a NAS. It does a suitable, if somewhat slow, job of that. I know Seagate sucks in comparison to Synology and QNAP. I am interested in trying my hand at developing an app for the Seagate NAS. I was hoping someone out there might have information about the elusive open API Seagate mention in their documentation. I just wanted to have a bit of fun trying to make a Seagate NAS do something it currently can't do.

I got the Seagate NAS dirt cheap to use purely as a NAS. It does a suitable, if somewhat slow, job of that. I know Seagate sucks in comparison to Synology and QNAP. I am interested in trying my hand at developing an app for the Seagate NAS. I was hoping someone out there might have information about the elusive open API Seagate mention in their documentation. I just wanted to have a bit of fun trying to make a Seagate NAS do something it currently can't do.

Gotcha. Good luck in getting the API info then - hopefully it's something that's actually available and not just something they had planned to do at some point in the future. You'd think it would have been already publicly available, unless they are doing like WD with their WDTV platform, and making it hard for third party devs to get started.

Thanks for the advice. Not exactly what I am looking for though.

It's not a lack of concern - it's a lack of knowledge/info on the Seagate NAS box - most in the NAS group here fall into other vendors for in-depth knowledge/experience.

Sounds like you got decent deal, and if you're doing basic NAS stuff, it's probably fine...