What's new

Secure, reliable, wireless router for CenturyLink fiber home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BrashIntermediary

New Around Here
CenturyLink has just rolled out a new fiber network in my area (Utah, USA), and they just finished their installation at my house. I am signed up for their 100/50 Mb plan, but at some point I might upgrade to 1 Gb. Their setup includes an ONT which in turn is connected to a (rebranded?) CL Technicolor C2100T wireless router.

To avoid the monthly leasing fee, I want to replace their router with one of my own (unless you guys think theirs is worth buying outright for $100). Essentially what this guy did: http://kmwoley.com/blog/bypassing-needless-centurylink-wireless-router-on-gigabit-fiber/

Unfortunately (as mentioned in the blog) to do so I need a router capable of PPPoE (simple enough) and also virtual LAN tagging (specifically with a value of 201, I believe). I’ve verified their router is already set up to do just this.

My current primary router (an Asus RT-N16 flashed with TomatoUSB) has been great and has lasted around 5 years, but I figure it’s about time for an upgrade. My biggest concerns are stability, longevity, and security (and obviously being compatible with CenturyLink’s network).

I share my home with several roommates, so there are multiple wireless devices and a lot of streaming and gaming going on. At some point down the road I’d really like to experiment with some more advanced features like a guest WiFi network, multiple VLANs, bandwidth limiting, and hosting my own NAS. Thus I’m looking for a router with powerful, flexible stock firmware and/or good support for custom firmware.

My main three candidates are currently:
• Netgear AC1900 (R7000)
• TP-Link AC1900 (Archer C9)
• Asus AC1900 (RT-AC68U)

I’m not sure if the AC1900 chipset is over/underkill, but it seems like a decent price/value ratio. Wireless throughput isn’t a huge concern right now since most of my own stuff is connected via Ethernet (and the previous G/N router was sufficient).

I would have already bought the Asus but I’ve read complaints on Newegg/Amazon about overheating. Same with the Netgear. The TP-Link has an awesome overall rating on Amazon (and is $40-60 cheaper), but I don’t think I can easily make it work with CenturyLink’s network and there doesn’t seem to be much custom firmware support.

So what do you experts think? Are my fears about the Asus or Netgear overblown? Are there other brands worth considering, like Linksys or even Apple?

Last edited:
I have an RT-AC68U (new to me) with Fibre 105d/23u speeds and I know the router's processor is overwhelmed (it is after all a two year old router (already) with paltry dual 800MHz processors).

I would recommend an RT-AC3100 or better, particularly if you want to upgrade your ISP speeds soon.

RMerlin firmware (or the forks thereof) is highly recommended over stock.

Imo? No, other brands are not even worth considering. :)

The PPOE is a problem with many routers, as with Linux, the PPP stack is single threaded...

You're probably better off with the operator's premises equipment, as they've already done the testing, and ensured that it'll meet the service level agreements appropriate for Gigabit on the WAN side - along with the appropriate VLAN support.

Know it's not easy to hear, but that's basically the situation you're in at this point - if one wants to run their own router in conjunction with the carrier's Gateway, you can always place it in their DMZ, and work things from there.

(Don't know why some operators persist in doing PPOE, rather than doing something that's more network friendly for them like DHCP and the like - it's not an accounting or security issue, as there are ways to work thru those issues...)

There are alternatives even with single thread issue for PPP in linux. Using a router with a powerful CPU for one will help.

Running PPOE over gigabit is just plain silly - it's a huge amount of overhead for the provider, with little benefit to the customer - which is odd, as the provider has done the expensive part - putting fiber to the last mile (in OP's case, fibre to the home).

I know Broadcom added PPPoE support to CTF a few years ago (back around SDK 5.110 I believe). I don't know how efficient it is however.

I definitely appreciate all the helpful feedback, and I’m leaning towards Asus again.

Based on the blog I originally linked, I’m fairly confident I can get both the Netgear R7000 and Asus RT-AC68U to work as a replacement for the CenturyLink router. My primary concern is their longevity, based on those overheating complaints I mentioned.

L&LD, I’ve read your recommendations about obtaining the Best Buy exclusive RT-AC1900P in other recent threads. From what I’ve gathered, it’s mostly identical to the RT-AC68U but has a much faster processor (1.4 GHz?). Any other differences of note? It’s about $40 more than the RT-AC68U so I’m wondering whether it’s worth plunking down the extra cash.

On a side note, I just flashed my RT-N16 with Merlin last night, and I feel like I practically have a new router. Since RMerlin actually posts here, I just want to say thank you for your efforts. I’m very impressed with what I’ve seen so far. I hope more modders follow your example and focus on stability and fixes rather than new features.

PPPOE still does add overhead. Using broadcom with hardware acceleration will get you below gigabit speeds. You would be expecting to see around 700-900Mb/s using hardware acceleration with PPPOE on a broadcom ARM platform.

I've found some other helpful forum threads elsewhere, and they confirm what you guys have said about PPPoE and its effect on throughput. It also seems I should be able to use an Asus router flashed with Merlin (probably even my RT-N16) to replace the CL Technicolor C2100T.

I wanted to share my findings here in case anyone else wanting to follow suit stumbles upon this thread:
Anyway, as suggested I might just bite the bullet and purchase the CenturyLink router since it's guaranteed to work, CL will support it, and it actually seems to have some decent features (including AC support), all for US$100.

I'm still unclear as to whether the PPPoE overhead described above will affect this router too, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I definitely appreciate all the helpful feedback, and I’m leaning towards Asus again.

Based on the blog I originally linked, I’m fairly confident I can get both the Netgear R7000 and Asus RT-AC68U to work as a replacement for the CenturyLink router. My primary concern is their longevity, based on those overheating complaints I mentioned.

L&LD, I’ve read your recommendations about obtaining the Best Buy exclusive RT-AC1900P in other recent threads. From what I’ve gathered, it’s mostly identical to the RT-AC68U but has a much faster processor (1.4 GHz?). Any other differences of note? It’s about $40 more than the RT-AC68U so I’m wondering whether it’s worth plunking down the extra cash.

On a side note, I just flashed my RT-N16 with Merlin last night, and I feel like I practically have a new router. Since RMerlin actually posts here, I just want to say thank you for your efforts. I’m very impressed with what I’ve seen so far. I hope more modders follow your example and focus on stability and fixes rather than new features.

Yes, the RT-AC1900P does have the same higher performance processor, but with only half the ram and (I think) different (better or worse?) power amplifiers.

If you're buying today though and are already considering the possibility of upgrading your ISP speeds to 1Gbps, the RT-AC3100 offers more, imo. Even at a substantially higher cost.

The RT-AC1900P at $40 more than the original two year old model is a 'steal' too, imo. From a dual core 800MHz processor to a dual core 1.4MHz processor for the price of a (bad) 'night' at McD's. :)

Yes, the RT-AC1900P does have the same higher performance processor, but with only half the ram and (I think) different (better or worse?) power amplifiers.

If you're buying today though and are already considering the possibility of upgrading your ISP speeds to 1Gbps, the RT-AC3100 offers more, imo. Even at a substantially higher cost.

The RT-AC1900P at $40 more than the original two year old model is a 'steal' too, imo. From a dual core 800MHz processor to a dual core 1.4MHz processor for the price of a (bad) 'night' at McD's. :)
you must be bloated from all that McD :O.

The century link router will get you about the same speed as asus because of the overheads and CPU speeds involved.

The century link router will get you about the same speed as asus because of the overheads and CPU speeds involved.

That carrier provided device might actually do better - code optimized per the carrier requirements - and it most likely will be more stable to boot...

Me, McD's? No. (You did see the '(bad)' part, right)?

I don't know the century link router, but I doubt it is anywhere close to the power of the RMerlin powered RT-AC1900P. :)

I don't know the century link router, but I doubt it is anywhere close to the power of the RMerlin powered RT-AC1900P.

Probably not a safe statement to make - if you don't know the CenturyLink RG, then it's impossible to make an assessment of how it may or may not perform compared to an off-the-shelf consumer grade router/AP.

As I mentioned in another post - the Carrier RG's are much better than they used to be... mainly due to the types of services that are now offered (or potentially offered, e.g. quad-play)

Probably not a safe statement to make - if you don't know the CenturyLink RG, then it's impossible to make an assessment of how it may or may not perform compared to an off-the-shelf consumer grade router/AP.

As I mentioned in another post - the Carrier RG's are much better than they used to be... mainly due to the types of services that are now offered (or potentially offered, e.g. quad-play)

I think I'm pretty safe with that statement. :)

Unless CenturyLink RG is an especially benevolent corporation, there is little hope of them matching RMerlin's firmware excellence with Asus' latest hardware. ;)

Can they be good or at least, good enough? Yes. Today.

I'm talking in another 2 or 3 years when the Asus will more than likely still be getting security and feature updates all the while giving the option of fully customizing one's network to almost any way they need. The carrier provided router? Probably won't do that for the user, today.

Some people are more concerned with stability and reliability, as these are performance indicators for many...

Thought experiment...

http://www.snbforums.com/search/337165/?q=asus+bug&o=date

yep - some might prefer something a bit more stable...

The number of bugs Asus may have isn't a good indication of stability. That is also why I specifically mentioned 'RMerlin's firmware' too.

RMerlin gets the showstopper bugs squashed quickly (while giving us access to the latest security updates) and Asus eventually does the same for their official firmware.

A carrier will only lock down the router more to avoid security issues on it's end, not care too much about their customer's options, in my experience.

I think I'm pretty safe with that statement. :)

No doubt - there's a few folks that have provided an incredible amount of assistance and insight, along with free tech support for Asus products...

(Asus should provide a couple of pallets of dead spiders to be distributed out as a collective thank you to those contributors - and that would be a very smart marketing move, as these contributor as also market influencers - and that's a heck of a deal for them, cheaper than an ad campaign, and better pull-thru)

"dead spider", aka the AC5300 - it's a subjective opinion of the industrial design, not suggestive of the performance capability...

;)

You guys are forgetting about google fiber. Its router is a dual core MIPS with hardware acceleration capable of supporting the config that google uses. Essentially ISP hardware provides most of the performance of gigabit internet speeds. It doesnt matter how optimised the code is, whats important is that the hardware is also capable.

Just like with 1Gb/s internet in sweden, it was years before mikrotik came out with hardware acceleration as that single core MIPS was only capable of 700Mb/s.