What's new

Securing a small server without going overboard.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

analog

New Around Here
Hi all,

I've recently set up a home backup server of sorts, which is a PC running Windows 8.1 Pro. All it does is take hourly snapshots of my OneDrive files using the built-in File History function. I might start using it as a NAS/file server later on, (should the need arise), but right now it just does backup.

This is my first time running a server, and I'd obviously like to keep it secure. So far I've covered the basics like removing or renaming default accounts, stopping all unnecessary services, keeping the malware scanners up to date and using the the Windows Firewall and my router's NAT tables to block all non-essential ports/traffic.

Are these things "enough" (realising that no machine can ever be truly secure) or should I also be looking at things like external firewalls and UTM etc.? I'm pretty sure it would be overkill (but cool), but I'm a noob, so what would I know?

Assuming you control who/how accesses your LAN, of course the primary defense is how the router/gateway to the Internet is configured.

Secondly would be how the WiFi, if any, is secured on the LAN. Good keys, no WiFi admin access to APs or routers.

A home NAS with shares needs to isolate risky users via their account privileges and limited access to other than their home folder.

Othewise, just ensure you have automated backup for that server's file, per the 3-2-1 methods.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!