What's new

[security] - Arlo Security issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm sure the 'cloud' security issues will be solved eventually. :rolleyes:

They are nowhere close.

In networking, I tell my customers 'if you don't own it, don't connect it to your network'. So far, they are listening.

Security and Privacy - now as we're getting more of the Internet of various connected stuff - it's not just securing these devices, but also maintaining privacy.

It's a big problem, and since much of this stuff is fairly new, and a lack of consistent/coherent standards, specifications, and most importantly, policy controls, means that we'll see issues like this pop up.

It's bad enough to see this on a home network, consider the small business/small enterprise markets - could easily see some doctor's office getting compromised like this, even though they've got HIPAA compliance measures in place - consider the quantified self and sending data back to the Doc...

It doesn't "scare" me, but it is deeply concerning - and most home networks are not ready for these new concerns.

Quick Internet of Things story - I recently stayed at a very nice, very new hotel while attending a conference up in the bay area - super slick in-room interface for in-suite entertainment, environmental controls, lights, room service, etc... which of course, piqued my interest, being a dev, wireless geek, and overall network nerd - so we do some cause and effect testing with Wireshark up and running, and find out everything is in the clear - and the room number was a key - and no VLAN's even, so it would be fairly easy to "observed" the guy over in Rm 723 watching "adult" entertainment, and even grab the video stream for "safe keeping" if one were so inclined (not that I was) - and you could see door lock activations, room presence, etc.. and it was all on the same network as the guest WiFi access points. Now I did cheat a little bit, as behind the television is a "box" that is basically the hub for the room, and there was an ethernet port exposed - which is something interesting :D

I think L&LD says it best - and I agree with him.

In networking, I tell my customers 'if you don't own it, don't connect it to your network'. So far, they are listening.

Security and Privacy - now as we're getting more of the Internet of various connected stuff - it's not just securing these devices, but also maintaining privacy.

It's a big problem, and since much of this stuff is fairly new, and a lack of consistent/coherent standards, specifications, and most importantly, policy controls, means that we'll see issues like this pop up.

It's bad enough to see this on a home network, consider the small business/small enterprise markets - could easily see some doctor's office getting compromised like this, even though they've got HIPAA compliance measures in place - consider the quantified self and sending data back to the Doc...

It doesn't "scare" me, but it is deeply concerning - and most home networks are not ready for these new concerns.

Quick Internet of Things story - I recently stayed at a very nice, very new hotel while attending a conference up in the bay area - super slick in-room interface for in-suite entertainment, environmental controls, lights, room service, etc... which of course, piqued my interest, being a dev, wireless geek, and overall network nerd - so we do some cause and effect testing with Wireshark up and running, and find out everything is in the clear - and the room number was a key - and no VLAN's even, so it would be fairly easy to "observed" the guy over in Rm 723 watching "adult" entertainment, and even grab the video stream for "safe keeping" if one were so inclined (not that I was) - and you could see door lock activations, room presence, etc.. and it was all on the same network as the guest WiFi access points. Now I did cheat a little bit, as behind the television is a "box" that is basically the hub for the room, and there was an ethernet port exposed - which is something interesting :D

I think L&LD says it best - and I agree with him.

sfx2000, that is quite a story! (Scary).

I'm sure most will laugh at me about this, but when I am travelling (infrequently), I make a point to not stay at the best equipped (modern) hotels). I prefer more out of the way places with no TV (impossible), no internet and certainly no card activated locks on the doors. ;)

With the little story you shared here, I will be sure I'm even more insistent on my preferences when travelling in the future.