What's new

Security issues connecting to condo LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unclebuk

Hello,

I moved into a condo recently, connected an Asus router (WAN port) to the ethernet jack in the condo, recieved a private IP from the Condo's server and now connect to the internet where i have a static IP from the ISP. I have set the WAN connection as Automatic IP.

Are there any major security concerns with this arrangement and if so what measure can I implement to mitigate them?

Thanks in advance,
unclebuk

As long the Asus router runs in router mode, your personal LAN will be secure - the router will act as a firewall preventing other tenants from accessing your network.

One thing to keep in mind is that between your router and the outside world, that traffic can potentially be seen by other condo owners. So make sure anything you access remotely with a password is going over secure channels (websites in HTTPS, your Email must use SSL/TLS, etc...)

As long the Asus router runs in router mode, your personal LAN will be secure - the router will act as a firewall preventing other tenants from accessing your network.

One thing to keep in mind is that between your router and the outside world, that traffic can potentially be seen by other condo owners. So make sure anything you access remotely with a password is going over secure channels (websites in HTTPS, your Email must use SSL/TLS, etc...)
Okay, sounds good. Thanks for the assistance.

Can a vpn provide security against the threats you have listed above?

Thanks again Merlin.

Okay, sounds good. Thanks for the assistance.

Can a vpn provide security against the threats you have listed above?

Thanks again Merlin.

Yes, as it will encrypt everything between your router and the remote VPN server outside of the condo LAN.

Yes, as it will encrypt everything between your router and the remote VPN server outside of the condo LAN.

So will HTTPS connections from the browser, eh?

I'm not seeing anything different here than the traditional WAN connection - cable/dsl/fiber/etc....

So will HTTPS connections from the browser, eh?

That's what I wrote in my first post...

OP was concerned about things that might not be automatically covered. Lots of sites still don't support https, and not everyone has their mail clients configured to use SSL/TLS. There are even ISPs around here that don't support TLS on their SMTP server yet...

So if one wanted a blanket security cover, yes, a VPN would ensure that 100% of traffic is hidden. One could just setup a VPS hosting the remote endpoint, and be covered. Remember that the OP's goal here is actually one for which VPNs are perfect: protect against snooping during a specific transit portion of the network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!