What's new

Selecting the Right Band for Each Client Tips & Static IPs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fish17

New Around Here
Ive been reading a lot about my new Asus AC3200 specifically regarding Smart Connect and Band Steering. Based on my research I’ve determined turning Smart Connect off is they way to go and manually assign each client to each band.

I have 2 questions:
1) How do u pick where to assign each client? Long range low throughout on 2.4, 1x1 and 2x2 on the first 5 GHz band, and high throughout on the second band. What devices would u consider high throughout other than laptops? Apple TVs? Gaming Devices?
2) is there any advantage to using static IPs other than perhaps port forwarding?

Some of my WiFi devices include:
- 2 iphones
- iPad
- 2 Apple TVs
Wireless printer
Nintendo Switch
Nest
Work laptops (hardly used)
Hue
2 x Amazon Echo Dots

Welcome Fish17. Re your questions, your list looks very similar to ours. If the info helps great. If not, someone else may offer something you can put to use.There's a a lot of information on the forum and in the wiki. so reading is your friend.

2.4 Ghtz is going to be stronger and reach farther. 5 GHtz for the devices that can make use it and almost all devices can use it depending on walls, density and construction in the home. The 3200 can automatically pick and choose the radio if you lose interest in tweaking, for optimal results.

Your questions didn't reference VPN, but if you are assigning static IPs, the following link can help you avoid problems that can crop up if IPs aren't within a certain address range;
Edit; please see;
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Policy-based-routing-(manual-method)
Step C, #3, and ** Important.

You can also assign one or more devices by assigning a static IP based on mac address; in the OpenVPN Client tab, set Redirect Internet Traffic to "Policy Rules". Then, enter the IP of the device you assigned, 0.0.0.0 for destination IP and VPN for iface. (per Xentrx).

As long as the static IP's assigned are in the correct range re the above wiki, more bandwidth will be available for your iPad, laptop and other wireless devices if you can connect your gaming console and Apple TV via Ethernet. Some streaming TV units no longer offer you the choice of using Ethernet. The closer your WiFi TV devices are to your router, the better and faster the streaming will be. I always save the radios for iPads, phones if possible. The three guest networks are useful for guests, devices or gadgets so I use them all.

2.4 GHz gives you a stable fast connection at longer distances. 5 GHz usually offers you higher speed and throughput, the closer the device is to the router. If your iPad or Apple TV (or Switch) uses concurrent 5 GHz AC, use the radios to get the higher speed and performance from the fastest devices. Depending on the number or type of devices on your network, how much RF noise from the neighborhood bleeds into your home, can be a factor where manually assigning higher bandwidth devices to a certain radio using a different SSID may help you distinguish which device or groups of devices use which radio. It's not included in your question but you may want to research it. Some don't find this method helpful and it's not for everyone. Using different SSIDs on some of the radios has proven useful to me.

Setting up your radios and static IPs can be fun with the 3200 (or is for me), and using SSID can help define combinations that offer you the best speed for some devices on select radios. Remember to save your settings or keep screen grabs in case you decide to start from scratch. You can try turning off all devices, then starting with the fastest (or slowest), work your way down (or up) through the radios with each device or group of devices. We have a Dot within 10 feet of the router and another in the next room on the same guest network. You can rename the Dot and may want to turn the microphone off when you don't want the Dot to listen in. Hope this helps; post if you need clarification.

Last edited:
@st3v3n Can you explain what you mean by "If you use a VPN client or two, setting the network address range in the 3200 is set between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.100 in LAN-DHCP, works best." I can think of no logical reason why that address range is "better" than any other. :confused:

Greetings Colin Taylor, Grateful for you bringing this to my attention, I'll attempt to edit this blurb.I humbly beg pardon. Logically I can think of no reason how I managed not to catch that. Senility and dyslexia, since I don't imbibe. Let's try this to begin making amends. First, apologies to all, especially Fish17. Please refer to the original wiki, instead of blurb.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Policy-based-routing-(manual-method)
Step C, #3, #5 and below, ** Most Important.

I worked with this today in the 3200, and was trying to translate it to Opnsense; it was banging around in my noggin until it landed above. Peace.

Last edited:
@st3v3n Thanks for the clarification but I'm still confused.

Given that the OP never mentioned VPNs, the only part of the wiki article you referenced that appears to be relevant is the assigning of fixed IP addresses to specific clients. (There doesn't seem to be any necessity in using a particular range of addresses.)

So that said, it's not clear to me from what you wrote how you are associating a particular IP address to a particular SSID. Or have I misunderstood what you are describing?

CollinTaylor, the more ahead I think I am, the behinder I become. I'm not a wizard and english lit was long ago; it wasn't my favorite subject, and I gather I'm not faring well re your confusion. I'm unable to type and the VR is limited in it's interpretation/rendering my dictation. I edit to the extent possible before pasting it as a reply.

I'm a bit mortified my reply to OP caused you confusion; you and other VSM/POTF offer such comprehensively written articles, experience, wisdom and/or sage advice, I'm tempted to withdraw, or merely post pointers to the wiki if an OP isn't garnering any responses.

Since you asked for refinement, my reply to OP didn't infer I assumed he wasn't using a VPN. He stated that he'd decided manual assignment was the way to go instead of using smart connect. I related to his post. When I first traveled down that path, I spent the better part of a week working through manual and auto-assigned IPs, trying to discover why some devices with static IPs assigned to a radio with a separate SSID weren't routing to a select VPN tunnel. Finally the wiki led me to enlightenment when no other's posts or replies or searches helped. The corrected IP address and range as listed in the wiki were all that was needed.

It's always helpful (or so I've thought) when a member takes time to reply to others. Even when there's a slight misunderstanding, it can usually be clarified. I discovered at times there are posts that aren't worth becoming involved in. I've tried never to pester any member by addressing an initial post directly at them, and reply to others only when I believe I won't waste my time or theirs. I regret if my reply was misinterpreted or confusing. I appreciate your help in correcting my inadvertent blurb. I'd like to be helpful to others when possible, if no other member responds to an OP. Anyone certainly may ignore my reply if they deem it irrelevant.

I'm unsure re the misunderstanding you describe. I've attempted to re-edit the reply for clarity, and will try to elicidate further if you wish to PM.

Last edited:
@st3v3n Please don't let my confusion discourage you, that's my problem not yours. I often need things to be explained in minute detail before I grasp it. Your first post contained lots of valuable information which I'm sure is appreciated. Even though it says I am "POTF" I'm still learning stuff every day from everyone here.

I think my confusion stems from the OP where it says "I’ve determined turning Smart Connect off is they way to go and manually assign each client to each band".

So to "manually assign each client to each band" you need to configure the client device to connect to a specific SSID. Your initial reply contains instructions on how to manually assign each client a fixed IP address. Aren't we just talking about two different things that happen to have the phrase "manually assign" in it? Or perhaps you just added in the information about VPN Policy Routing as additional information and that's what confused me.

EDIT: Having re-read your last reply and the edited post I think I now understand why you included that extra information. It sometimes takes a while before the penny drops.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Collin, I'm always having trouble with my loose change, dropping pennies so to speak.Having been part of my own furniture and gear for so many years, POTF would seem to be an appropriate equivalent to an eagle badge for service and help to others. When I read your query re the post, I re-read mine and then became confused, attempting to visualize your thought process/comprehension re mine, and how to interpret adapt the post. It takes a while to look through other's eyes, it's not vain but humans perceive the universe to extend outward from each of us, unless you're telepathic. I don't undertake serious reading until morning coffee hits the 3 cup mark; responses take more.

I inserted the add-on remarks about VPN prematurely as a supplement of sorts; it seemed logical at the time. Logic seemed appropriate re assigning an SSID to a specific device or devices (whether wired/Wi-Fi) which could then be routed to a radio and/or a VPN client, (or two SSIDs to two VPN clients if one wished) since the RT-AC3200 on the newer firmware can run two concurrent tunnels. It seemed logical to consider OP might utilize an OpenVPN client (or 2) to secure unspecified device traffic. since OP didn't mention it, in conversing with the machine I wandered and mentioned keeping static IPs within a certain range to avoid a problem with the OpenVPN client. Technically while thinking I might have been helpful, I was generated confusion for you. Apologies. The head-tap I had some years ago, hashed my editing skills.

My wry jibe at English lit was in jest but even wryness can be taken as poorly phrased humor. I speak to the machine to write, and dictation works only if editing transforms the output into a form so others can visualize and relate. It's similar to but not a conversation. Until a couple of years ago the VR was farily terrible. As it improves, I try to adapt. You and others on the forum are knowledgeable and write concisely, so I hope to keep learning. Thank you for helping me to reorganize my effort.

Ive been reading a lot about my new Asus AC3200 specifically regarding Smart Connect and Band Steering. Based on my research I’ve determined turning Smart Connect off is they way to go and manually assign each client to each band.

I have 2 questions:
1) How do u pick where to assign each client? Long range low throughout on 2.4, 1x1 and 2x2 on the first 5 GHz band, and high throughout on the second band. What devices would u consider high throughout other than laptops? Apple TVs? Gaming Devices?

Some time back - had a relative that picked up an RT-AC3200 and was having a heck of a time with smart connect...

Taking things a bit manual, and disabling Smart Connect... configured him like this...

2.4G - SSID - HomeNet
5G-1 - SSID - HomeNet
5G-2 - SSID - HomeNet5G

Guest Network - HomeNetGuest - 2.4G only, with AP isolation

So that takes care of the WiFi - he has a mix of Windows and Android devices, along with a few IOT kind of things - IOT sits on the Guest Network and only has access to the internet, nothing on the LAN/WLAN.

Then play with hostnames for policy based things if needed for VPN client access...

Yes, that's about how it findally resolved for us, iPads and iphones rule the two-5G radios, Androids settled for the 2.4. It was fun to play with smart connect trying the tweaks for about a month, then had to get work done. Cheers.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!