What's new

Selective routing to VPN via a PC - Is it possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cooa99

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have an Amazon Fire TV/Ipad that I would like to occasionally connect to a hosted VPN. One option is to enter the details of the vpn via each device (... may not be for the FireTV) But I would like to configure this via the router And not for all IP addresses on my network.

After some initial checking it appears that the ASUS RT (AC68/87/62) WIFI routers can achieve this but by installing the merlin firmware. Unfortunately there is no Merlin support for the VDSL2 version of these routers (i.e. Asus DSL AC68U) .... and I would rather a single box modem/router solution for my Fibre optic broadband.

So my questions are :-
(1) Using another pc/ Virtual machine to do the routing
Could I achieve this type of selective routing by using e.g. A Virtual machine/PC on my network running linux/windows?
I am assuming that only web traffic (from FireTV/Ipad) will be forwarded to a machine which will then decide on forwarding to the my router as normal or VPN traffic?

(2) Asus DSL AC68U modem router + Asus RT-AC87 (with merlin) on same network
My networking knowledge is rubbish so just thinking out loud ......
Is it possible to have both devices dishing out a limited range of IP on same network. Then set some clients to connect to the RT-AC87 (wired/wireless) which will do the selective IP routing....?

(1) will be ideal if possible because it means I could test without additional purchases .....

cheers