What's new

Selective Routing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rudg

New Around Here
Hey everyone. I've been struggling with this for a couple of days now and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong so I'm missing something obvious my apologies.

I am using OpenVPN client and am trying to configure it so that only a couple of devices route through the VPN, while the rest route through my router. If I set "Redirect Internet Traffic" to "All Traffic" everything routes through the VPN and works perfectly. As soon as I set the option to either "No" or "Policy Rules" I can no longer browse to any website. Some things still work (like Skype) but I cannot browse any site on any device. I tried setting "Accept DNS Configuration" to Disabled and then switching my WAN DNS to point to Google and although I can browse to sites with that configuration, it seems to ignore my policy rules (even devices I setup to use VPN do not). I have tried setting Accept DNS Configuration to Strict and Exclusive and I cannot browse anything with either of those settings.

Hoping someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance!

What firmware version are you using? Did you try a reboot?

Might be worth trying to setup the VPN client again under a new client profile and see if that does the trick.

Might be worth trying to setup the VPN client again under a new client profile and see if that does the trick.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that but got the same results. I then tried a different VPN provider and things got a little better. All VPN clients and wired clients work as expected, however none of my WAN wireless clients can resolve any address so I lose Internet on these clients. If I try to specify a WAN client selectively in the UI, the VPN connection cannot establish a connection - stating Authentication failed.

I'm thinking selective DNS may be better for me . :)

Hey everyone. I've been struggling with this for a couple of days now and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong so I'm missing something obvious my apologies.

I am using OpenVPN client and am trying to configure it so that only a couple of devices route through the VPN, while the rest route through my router. If I set "Redirect Internet Traffic" to "All Traffic" everything routes through the VPN and works perfectly. As soon as I set the option to either "No" or "Policy Rules" I can no longer browse to any website. Some things still work (like Skype) but I cannot browse any site on any device. I tried setting "Accept DNS Configuration" to Disabled and then switching my WAN DNS to point to Google and although I can browse to sites with that configuration, it seems to ignore my policy rules (even devices I setup to use VPN do not). I have tried setting Accept DNS Configuration to Strict and Exclusive and I cannot browse anything with either of those settings.

Thanks in advance!

I am also trying to do the same and having the exact same problems I hope we can get some help here on this forum. I am using firmware version 380.50_0

I am also trying to do the same and having the exact same problems I hope we can get some help here on this forum. I am using firmware version 380.50_0

You don't state what router you have?

I would recommend you upgrade the firmware version to 380.59 Beta 1 (or wait for the imminent Beta 2, sometime soon).

Followed by a full reset to factory defaults and then minimally and manually configuring the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

You don't state what router you have?

I would recommend you upgrade the firmware version to 380.59 Beta 1 (or wait for the imminent Beta 2, sometime soon).

Followed by a full reset to factory defaults and then minimally and manually configuring the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
Router is an asus rt-ac56r, after many failed attempts I got it working for both wired and wireless clients.

I did an incremental firmware upgrade from ASUS website, starting with firmware 3.0.0.4.376.3754 first then the latest,only had 1 wired connection connected to the router during upgrading, after ASUS firmware I installed Merlin.
First I got openvpn configured and running and tested
then turned off openvpn (disabled it in router settings)
in the AI PROTECTION tab open up DNS at the bottom, enable DNS Filtering, Global Filtering Mode= No Filtering, set custom DNS 1 & 2 = 8.8.8.8 (google dns servers) set custom DNS 3 = my vpn providers dns servers address.(124.xxx. xx.xxx)
Drop down the client list to see my one connected computer that I want to use the vpn with and added that and set the filter mode for that PC to use Costom 3 (my vpns dns server) Hit APPLY.
go to open vpn client tab, Check following settings.
Accept DNS Config= Exclusive
Redirect internet traffic = NO
Hit APPLY
Now finally turn vpn back on
All other settings that were made was to get openvpn configured as per my vpn providers directions. Any other settings are Merlin Firmware Default settings. Now Reboot and test it. Hope this helps I have been trying for weeks to get this to work, this did it for me!

One more thing I had to use a TCP openvpn config file provided by my vpn in order to get Android devices to connect to the internet (APPLE devices worked with both udp and tcp ) as I also set Protocal to TCP in openvpn Basic settings.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance!

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
Router is an asus rt-ac56r, after many failed attempts I got it working for both wired and wireless clients.

I did an incremental firmware upgrade from ASUS website, starting with firmware 3.0.0.4.376.3754 first then the latest,only had 1 wired connection connected to the router during upgrading, after ASUS firmware I installed Merlin.
First I got openvpn configured and running and tested
then turned off openvpn (disabled it in router settings)
in the AI PROTECTION tab open up DNS at the bottom, enable DNS Filtering, Global Filtering Mode= No Filtering, set custom DNS 1 & 2 = 8.8.8.8 (google dns servers) set custom DNS 3 = my vpn providers dns servers address.(124.xxx. xx.xxx)
Drop down the client list to see my one connected computer that I want to use the vpn with and added that and set the filter mode for that PC to use Costom 3 (my vpns dns server) Hit APPLY.
go to open vpn client tab, Check following settings.
Accept DNS Config= Exclusive
Redirect internet traffic = NO
Hit APPLY
Now finally turn vpn back on
All other settings that were made was to get openvpn configured as per my vpn providers directions. Any other settings are Merlin Firmware Default settings. Now Reboot and test it. Hope this helps I have been trying for weeks to get this to work, this did it for me!

One more thing I had to use a TCP openvpn config file provided by my vpn in order to get Android devices to connect to the internet (APPLE devices worked with both udp and tcp ) as I also set Protocal to TCP in openvpn Basic settings.
I have to try this. So you don't set Redirect Internet Traffic to Policy Rules?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!