What's new

Selling old router - Is a factory reset enough?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

clankfu

New Around Here
I'm actually returning a complimentary Asus router that Sprint gave me but this applies to routers being sold to private parties as well.

Is a factory reset enough to make sure the new owner isn't able to retrieve my SSID and passwords? Or do I need to a more thorough wipe to be safe?

Asking because I'd like to use the same SSID and passwords on my new router.

Good point - whether reselling or recycling, best to do the factory reset in SW and perhaps the HW reset as well just to be sure.

If running 3rd Party Firmware, might consider a flash back to the latest factory firmware as well, esp. if reselling.

Good point - whether reselling or recycling, best to do the factory reset in SW and perhaps the HW reset as well just to be sure.

If running 3rd Party Firmware, might consider a flash back to the latest factory firmware as well, esp. if reselling.

If I do a factory reset in the Asus web interface, isn't that the same as doing a HW reset?

For a HW reset, you mean holding down the physical reset button on the router right?