What's new

Separate wireless??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tsunami2311

sorry if this in wrong section, but I woundering it it possible to have 1 router for Wired connections and another router connected to that router that handles all the wifi is that possible?

sorry if this in wrong section, but I woundering it it possible to have 1 router for Wired connections and another router connected to that router that handles all the wifi is that possible?
This is possible for any router. Just set the router handling Wi-Fi to access point mode if it has one. If it doesn't, you can convert it.

so i get 2nd router put in access point 2nd router will handle all wifi traffic and main router will handle wired, will this keep the all the wifi connects from mess with ping of wired connections? cause my R66U now has like 15 + wifi clients, and would seem at night when they all connect my ping on wired connection to game servers goes from 20ish to 40-50ish

If your Wi-Fi clients are accessing the internet at the same time as your wired clients, putting the Wi-Fi clients on an AP won't help. They're all competing for the same internet pipe.

ok so there wouldnt be much point in me doing this, other then being able to put the wifi router in middle of house so it evenly spread. and seeing i dont use wifi for anything there would be not point in me doing that either. ok thank you for the info

You could play with some QOS and prioritize you gamming devs... You set your AP isolated and wifi clients cant ping each other. Sounds to me like you wanna do some VLANs... I had a cisco rv220w that let me do some real WLAN / Wired lan segmentation. its very nice when the wireless has no bearing on the wired devs eg: deauth ect....