What's new

Set VPN and P2P with cascading router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A S

New Around Here
Hi, I just upgrade my internet connection and my ISP give me a non-replaceable cable modem that also a router (Cisco Residential Wireless Gateway Model DPC3828). Now I am planning to create 2 network by cascading my old router to it. I plan to use 1 network (connected to new modem/router) for guess and children computer and another network for my personal use (connected to old router). But I have several thing in mind that I also want it to work.

1. I have a wifi printer (HP 4625) that I hope can be accessed by both network so that I or my kids can print.
2. I want to be able to do p2p on the computer that connected to the network/old router that cascade to the cisco.
3. I want to be able to VPN to my work computer from internet that also connected to the network/old router that cascade to the cisco.
4. The computer inside the old router should be able to access both network but the other way should not apply.

Is it possible? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
This really depends upon the capabilities of both routers. If you can't add networks to the Cisco, and you can't control firewall rules on the LAN ports of your old router or turn off NAT on the WAN port, or set rules about connection types, then it may not work.

Some people have had luck just plugging them together and double-NATing the network, but it never works properly. It will certainly annoy the printing from your private network.

You may need to get a more capable router to use as the gateway. Routers designed for small businesses certainly permit multiple networks using the same device as a gateway as well as firewall rules to control their interaction.

Sorry I don't have more information, but I wasn't able to determine the capabilities of the Cisco gateway.