What's new

Setting up 2nd Router (VPN) behind my N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dafod

Occasional Visitor
I am trying to setup a router behind my N66U so that I can have a VPN for my Apple TV (to get around geoblocking).

Anyway I haven't even been able to surf the net from a laptop connected to my second router that has DDWRT on it.

My main router has an address of 192.168.1.1 whilst I have connected the WAN port of the 2nd router to a switch and given it the address of 192.168.1.38. On the LAN side I have given it 192.168.2.1.

In this setup I cannot get to the net and this before I setup the VPN client. I cannot be sure whether I need to adjust something in Asuswrt-Merlin firmware settings. Appreciate any thoughts people might have as I am a bit of newb.

Justin

On the second router set the Wan to auto. That may fix your problem. If not connect the second router directly to the first router WAN to LAN just to be sure it isn't causing your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks CaptainSTX, will try that. Also, thought maybe I could do the VPN on the ASUS and have it go directly to the Apple TV, but I also failed in getting the PPTP to work on the Asuswrt-Merlin router (N66U). It came back with the follow log. Not sure what exactly it means:

Aug 20 10:26:11 pptp[478]: PPTP plugin version 0.8.5 compiled for pppd-2.4.7, linux-2.6.22.19
Aug 20 10:26:11 pptp[479]: pppd 2.4.7 started by admin, uid 0
Aug 20 10:26:12 pptp[479]: Using interface ppp5
Aug 20 10:26:12 pptp[479]: Connect: ppp5 <--> pptp (xx.xx.xx.xx)
Aug 20 10:26:13 pptp[479]: CHAP authentication succeeded
Aug 20 10:26:13 pptp[479]: LCP terminated by peer (MPPE required but peer negotiation failed)
Aug 20 10:26:16 pptp[479]: Connection terminated.
Aug 20 10:26:16 pptp[479]: Modem hangup
Aug 20 10:26:28 pptp[479]: Using interface ppp5
Aug 20 10:26:28 pptp[479]: Connect: ppp5 <--> pptp (xx.xx.xx.xx) [I removed address]
Aug 20 10:26:29 pptp[479]: CHAP authentication succeeded
Aug 20 10:26:29 pptp[479]: LCP terminated by peer (MPPE required but peer negotiation failed)

Does that mean the PPTP client on Merlin's firmware needs something more?

I then tried to run the PPTP on the N66U with no encryption setting but it came back with this:

terminated by peer (MPPE required but peer refused)
Aug 20 10:37:30 pptp[707]: Connection terminated.
Aug 20 10:37:30 pptp[707]: Modem hangup

Which looks like the VPN client is being pedantic. Any ideas?

Justin

You know you can make this a whole lot easier - you only need one router - Asus running Merlin (since you already have experience with Merlin).

Who is your VPN Provider? If you signup with Astrill, they have a Router Applet that lets you do exactly what you want - easily - you just install it on your router.

I got it to work. Just a few settings. Thanks. I use AWS for the VPN. I read reports that Astrill's IPs were being picked up under Netflix's geoblock so doesn't try it

I got it to work. Just a few settings. Thanks. I use AWS for the VPN. I read reports that Astrill's IPs were being picked up under Netflix's geoblock so doesn't try it

The last time I checked Astrill has some IPs that are not on Netflix's list. Contact Astrill's support and ask them which server to use for Netflix.

It's true - some Astrill IPs do cause a problem - but it also depends on which site/country you pay in. Seems to be more important that where you card comes from.

Eg. Paid in Swiss Francs (through the Swiss site) with a French card, VPN to France - doesn't work.

Paid in Euro (through the French site) same VPN to France - it works.