What's new

Setting up a new DS215j - Orange Status blinking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Trenno76

New Around Here
Hi there

I am in the process of setting up a new DS215j that I received yesterday which I am having issues with. I followed the installation guide as shown and it still comes up with the orange flashing status light.

According to the guide this means "Drive crashed/Volume degraded or crashed" or "No internal drive".

The hard drive is a brand new Seagate 4TB NAS 4000VN000. I plugged the HDD into my desktop and it comes up fine. I created a new volume and even did a new format on it. So the HDD is working fine it seems.

I installed the Synology Assistant onto my desktop in the hopes of finding it and it fails to see it there. An ipconfig fails to show anything either.

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this? I have scoured the internet and there doesn't seem to be a clear cut resolution to this. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

It can't mount the drive - go into the drive management and format it there, and then it should mount..

Hi, thanks for the reply

I used disk management on my desktop to perform a full format and then plugged it into the NAS.

However, the Synology Assistant on my desktop fails to find the DS215j on my network, so I am unable to perform it via the NAS. I am at a loss to know what to do from here.

Thanks mate

Hi, thanks for the reply

I used disk management on my desktop to perform a full format and then plugged it into the NAS.

However, the Synology Assistant on my desktop fails to find the DS215j on my network, so I am unable to perform it via the NAS. I am at a loss to know what to do from here.

Thanks mate

Go into the WebGUI of the Synology and format/partition the disk there...

And since your device is fresh out of Box, you might consider reaching out to the Synology support team directly...

I would simply return the hdd.

Doesn't matter if it is not damaged. If it isn't working in your NAS, it doesn't work period.

If a replacement (identical) drive shows the same issues, try a different model or brand (WD RED highly recommended).

If it still continues. At that point, the NAS is suspect. Don't call support. Return for a full refund and rethink where to go from there (after you have your money refunded in full).

Hi, thanks for the reply

Thanks mate

Did you try both format type? I mean tried GPT format?