What's new

Setting up AiMesh: RT-AC88U not detected as node.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lord Kamina

New Around Here
I recently decided to go full-retard and on a recent trip to the US I bought a GT-5300, an RT-5300 and an RT-AC88U. My idea is to set up an AiMesh network with the GT5300 as primary, the RT5300 as a wireless node and the AC88U as a wired node.

I didn't have any issue setting up the GT5300, updated all firmwares to latest, the RT5300 seems to be detected and joined without a hitch, but I simply cannot get the main router to detect the AC88U in the node search. I've tried wireless and wired, and restarting and/or factory resetting and reflashing it several times now.,

Any ideas?

you need to connect to the ac88u and set it as an aimesh in the routers config.

it also needs to be on 384 aimesh firmware.

trying to setup "node" in node routers config fails 90% of the time
Asus video and instruction showing to perform node firmware update and node factory reset..
After node factory reset all the rest done from main router only ...

It is and I did.

trying to setup "node" in node routers config fails 90% of the time
Asus video and instruction showing to perform node firmware update and node factory reset..
After node factory reset all the rest done from main router only ...

Also tried this. And just to test I also attempted to install a previous build of 384 but still no dice.

BTW i gave up on AiMesh right now ... i don't have any problems setting it up but something brakes with in 1 or 2 days ... im just using AP mode and repeater mode with same names ..

have you tried factory reset GT-5300 and add ac88u to GT first ?
No but I was originally attempting to add it first. In fact only after numerous attempts to get it detected did I add the other AC5300.

BTW i gave up on AiMesh right now ... i don't have any problems setting it up but something brakes with in 1 or 2 days ... im just using AP mode and repeater mode with same names ..

I might end up resorting to this as a stopgap for the ac88u but it'd suck.

In the end I returned the AC88U to Amazon, and since the other two have such ridiculous ranges, my setup works fine with just those two ‍*shrugs*